Author Topic: Information on Clyde Harry Cooke born to lilias freebody and John Arthur Cooke  (Read 5385 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Information on Clyde Harry Cooke born to lilias freebody and John Arthur Cooke
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 October 16 13:42 BST (UK) »
if anyone has any information at all you would be helping greatly😊

information that has been discussed is all I do know

If you have all the information posted then it would have been helpful if you had posted ALL you knew about Clyde in your first post.

I don't know what else you expect to find.  He only enrolled to vote once and that was in 1980. 

The news item about an airman Clyde Henry COOKE in court in SA is obviously him.  No man of that name has a service record.

He had various occupations as driver, fruiterer and photographer. The marriage didn't last very long.  Surely you must have some information about him from your family.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beck18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information on Clyde Harry Cooke born to lilias freebody and John Arthur Cooke
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 October 16 16:54 BST (UK) »
Clyde left when my father was 18 mths old! My grandmother never spoke about him, so this is why we only know so little about him! So the information that is known is some of what has been discussed,and some of the information given on here I never knew existed so everyone so far that has supplied info has been a fantastic help and I'm very greatful of your time and help thankyou!

Can anyone tell please how I would find clyde's and my grandmothers marriage certificate  they were married in 1952 in Adelaide, grandmothers name is "Hope Marie (Macklin) formerly!

Beck

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 October 16 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Beck,

When he first enlisted in 1941 it was with the AIF (VX53546) which was the Army volunteer force for overseas service and the age minimum had been reduced from 20 to 19 in 1941 and it looks like that Clyde had dropped his age by a few years to enlist in the AIF but the authorities got onto that quickly hence his discharge in June 41. 

It wasn't uncommon for younger brothers to lie about their age so that they could follow an older brother into the AIF, I don't know if this was the case with Clyde.

The 9th April 1925 birth date probably is the correct one because the RAAF minimum, age for enlistment was 18.

Gerry

Offline Beck18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 October 16 01:10 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Gerry I knew he enlisted 3 times but never knew much more than he got into RAAF! So Thankyou for researching and for the information.

Beck

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 October 16 01:20 BST (UK) »

If you get his AIF and Militia documents from the Australian Archives this might shed more light on things, these have not been digitised as yet only his RAAF papers have,

Gerry

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 October 16 01:29 BST (UK) »

Back again,

Just opened up Clyde's RAAF record and on the PERSONAL RECORD OF SERVICE page in box 15, previous service it has AIF U/AGE.

Gerry

Offline Beck18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 October 16 01:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks heaps Gerry this getting interesting!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 October 16 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Who is Doreen who wrote a letter regarding her late husband's medals?  Perhaps the letter is in the incorrect file....  No E on COOKE.  However the reply gives the name of the serviceman as your grandfather.
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/NAAMedia/ShowImage.aspx?B=5355921&S=5&T=P

Haven't you read the digitised file on NAA
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx

I feel we are being drip fed information.  Makes research very tedious :(

Marriage certificates are restricted for 60 years in South Australia but after that time anyone can apply.
You can engage a transcription agent which is far cheaper than purchasing a certified certificate.  Information is exactly the same.
http://www.jaunay.com/bdmcertificates.html

Not a lot of information on South Australian marriage certificates in 1952
    Date and Place of Marriage
    Bride and Bridegrooms Names, Ages, Place and Country of Birth
    Trade
    Residence
    Father's names

http://www.centennialpark.org/memorial-search/hope-marie-cooke-594182/

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 October 16 02:53 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

RAAF Service No 145835 was Clyde Harry Cooke.
RAAF Service No 145825 was  Edward Thomas Cook.

Gerry