Author Topic: Silverton Gaol prisoner records 1888-1892 (John Shiells born 1866)  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Silverton Gaol prisoner records 1888-1892 (John Shiells born 1866)
« on: Sunday 30 October 16 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

In the past Rootschatters have come up with amazing knowledge and insights on subjects that seem to me to be brick walls, so I humbly ask for your help again  :)

I recently found a record in Ancestry's "NSW Gaol Description and Entrance Books, 1818-1930" collection that is a close match for my John Shiells (born 1866 in Lindenow, Vic., son of Thomas Shiells and Bridget Timmins. John, sometimes known as Jack, is mentioned on his parents' death certificates as "John, age 17 (1884) and "Jack, age 43" (1910). I've never been able to find a death record for him.

The John Shiells in the gaol record was 23, born in Victoria, and the physical description (although ambiguous) matches with the general family features - stocky build, fair complexion, brown hair, blue eyes. In December 1889, when he was admitted to Broken Hill Gaol, our John would have been 23 years and 10 months old. This is the closest match I've found to our John in 20 years of research, mostly because of the details.

The problem is I can't find any more information. I've been Googling and Troving and found that the Police Gaol at Broken Hill, known as Silverton Gaol, was established in 1888 and the first prisoner was admitted on 11 January, 1888. The last prisoner was received at the old prison on 27 October 1892, and prisoners were then transferred to newly built premises on 8 November, 1892.

I've searched death and cemetery records in all states with no conclusive results. I've searched all the available indexes at NSW State Archives but found nothing further about this man. I suspect one might have to personally view records not yet digitised. I live in Melbourne and am not going to Sydney any time soon.

There are trees at Ancestry that have our John dying in (variously) 1881 and 1910. His parents had twin children who were born and died in October 1881 (aged 2 days) but for some reason the owners of the trees have decided that a 2 day old child dying in 1881 is actually the death of a 15 year old boy who is mentioned on his parents' death certificates as still living in 1884 and 1910. The 1910 death belongs to a John Shiells who was born in 1834 in Ireland and lived at Loy Yang. Neither is our John.

Thanks for your patience if you've read this far!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Silverton Gaol prisoner records 1888-1892 (John Shiells born 1866)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 16 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Bearing in mind that info on death certs is often very inaccurate.  Probably grasping at straws ;)

15636/1926
SHEILS John
Father John  Mother Bridget
District Newtown

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 16 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Bearing in mind that info on death certs is often very inaccurate.  Probably grasping at straws ;)

15636/1926
SHEILS John
Father John  Mother Bridget
District Newtown

Cando

SMH 3Aug1926 http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16310641
SHEILS. -August 2, at Newtown, John Sheils, in his 72nd? year RIP

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 16 10:21 GMT (UK) »
One down and probably more to go ::)

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 16 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - it is almost as useful to be able to eliminate the wrong ones, if you know what I mean. There was also a John Shiells in the 1891 and 1901 NSW censuses living at Orange but I suspect that he might be the John W Shiells whose death is registered at Orange in 1921, parents William and Elizabeth. I might have to create a database like I did for John's father Thomas - enter all the possible John Shiel* people who fit the bill and then track down what happened to them.

I think I might contact the Broken Hill historical sciety and see if they know whether there's any more information.

Thanks for looking!

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 October 16 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just for interest there was a John SHIELLS released from the Melbourne Gaol on 28th December 1885 after being sentenced for 2 month at Sale for stealing.  According to the Police Gazette this John SHIELLS was a blacksmith and he had been born in 1862 at Sale.

There is a tree on a subscription site that has John Francis SHIELLS born on 10th Jan 1866 at Lindenow.

Gerry

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 October 16 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gerry - I hadn't come across the Melbourne Gaol John before. Interesting! That is something I will follow up.

Regarding John Francis Shiells, the birth date is certainly my John (I have a copy of his birth certificate) but there is no mention on that or in any other records of the middle name Francis. John had a brother called Francis Alfred who was born at Upper Heyfield on 13 February 1868. Maybe there's some confusion there. If he can be recorded in a tree as dead in 1881 and then in an electoral roll in 1903 anything is possible  :)

But you know, it might be worth looking for him as John Francis - he may have been known as that. I have to spread the net far and wide... maybe, if he did do time, it suited him to be known as something else from time to time.

Cheers!

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 October 16 01:57 GMT (UK) »
There is a suggestion that your John (Jack) SHIELLS emigrated to the USA before WW1.
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/TheShipsList/2004-06/1087018846

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 October 16 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am having trouble locating the birth of the chap, John SHIELLS born 1866 at Lindenow on the Victorian Index
You have the certificate, was he simply John?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk