Author Topic: Robina Ruxton, formerly McKenzie, m.s. Bruce *** COMPLETED ***  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Robina Ruxton, formerly McKenzie, m.s. Bruce *** COMPLETED ***
« on: Monday 31 October 16 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I've hit that brick wall again  :'(

Robina Bruce was born in Brechin, Forfarshire, Scotland on 3 September 1871, daughter of Thomas Bruce and Mary Ann Melvin. She married her first husband Duncan McKenzie on 26 February 1909. Although i can't prove it, yet, I'm assuming he may have been a WW1 casualty, as she then married Hugh Hay Ruxton on 30 March 1926 at 49 Lyon Street, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland. Hugh, a Naturalized US Citizen (and also from Dundee, Scotland), had travelled from New York to Dundee, Scotland to marry her.

She sailed from Glasgow, Scotland to New York, USA on 5 June 1926 on board the S.S. "Cameronia" (Anchor Line) - from 49 Lyon Street, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland, then traversed the Atlantic several times until about 1934. I have details of these voyages.

She became a Naturalized US Citizen on 25 January 1934 and is in the 1940 Sixteenth Census of the United States Residing as a Lodger at 87 Shonnard Place, Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, her husband Hugh having died on 2 October 1939 in Yonkers, Westchester County, New York.

And that's where the trail stops ... right up against the brick wall!

Can anyone get me over, or through, the brick wall by coming up with details of her demise?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robina Ruxton, formerly McKenzie, m.s. Bruce
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 13:26 GMT (UK) »
On www.fultonhistory.com, there is a mention of her in the Yonkers Herald Statesmen from 22 May 1940, about a month after the census, becoming a member of the Daughters of Scotia.

There's an entry for Hugh's burial here - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=ruxton&GSiman=1&GScid=65498&GRid=172060119&  Maybe if you request a photo or contact the cemetery, it could lead to information about Robina.  The cemetery has a contact form here - http://oaklandcemeteryny.com/Contact.html

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi shelleyesq

Thanks for the links  :)  I have quite a bit of information already for Hugh, and his first marriage to Sarah Mills, from the sources you quote and, just this morning, received a copy of the Register of Marriage for him to Robina in Dundee, (Scotland) on 30 March 1926. It came in a roundabout way from my cousin in Brisbane as "an early birthday present." I also now have an image of the announcement in the Dundee Courier newspaper (attached).

I'll fill in the form for Oaklands Cemetery and see if, by chance, Robina was interred there.

I feel as if I may be getting somewhere now  :)

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 15:35 GMT (UK) »
The cemetery has a contact form here - http://oaklandcemeteryny.com/Contact.html
Hi again shellyesq

Tried to complete the contact form but they as for Plot/Grave information that I don't have - the Findagrave Memorial Number isn't accepted - so the form won't send  >:(

I may have to resort to snail mail  :(

Chiad Fhear

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 15:53 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't look like a plot number is required (only name, e-mail address, and comments have the little red asterisk that is usually for required information), so maybe try leaving the plot number blank?  If not, maybe the person who has the memorial at Find A Grave has the plot number. 

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 16:05 GMT (UK) »
HA!

Success  :D  I was trying to be too clever and fill in all the boxes!

Chiad Fhear

Offline Avia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chiad

From fultonhistory.com, The Herald Statesman, Yonkers NY, Saturday, March 22, 1947

RUXTON - On Friday March 21st 1947, Robina Bruce of 77 Rosslter Avenue, beloved wife of the late Hugh Ruxton.  Resting at the Sheridan Funeral Chapel 73 Lockwood Avenue.  Funeral service Monday at 2pm. Internment, Oakland Cemetery.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Avia

Having trawled the Fulton site for most of yesterday, I don't know how I missed that!!

Many thanks!

RootsChat does it again and another wall comes tumbling down!  ;D

Chiad Fhear

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 18:56 GMT (UK) »
TOTAL SUCCESS  ;D

Oakland Cemetery have just confirmed Robina's death and burial dates and the grave details

Thanks again RootsChatters!

Chiad Fhear