Author Topic: Adelaide birth request please  (Read 3848 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide birth request please
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 November 16 23:29 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758724.0

someone else seeking info on the lads.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 November 16 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Some funny business going on here.  There is a Charles St. Morris he's arrived in San Francisco and getting citizenship in 1889, says he's English...not.  The boys arrived 1898 and their death certificates/marriage say mom was Amelia Hodgkins, on another they say Mott and that's her mother's maiden name.  I'm thinking they are St. Morris' (or whatever his real name is) is the father, but Greatrex stepped in or something.  They definitely all go together tho.  Regardless, she is my dna match, would be interesting to see a Greatrex descendent get tested!  Very many thanks.

Re "says he's English ... not"   I am not surprised that the form you have found has that he is English.  I would expect that is simply because IF he was born in the British Colony of South Australia (or any other British colony eg New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, Western Australia, Tasmania, New Zealand etc) he was automatically a British Subject.    :) "Australian citizen" ... no such thing legally until post WWII.   

JM (edited to sort out some grammar issues)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 November 16 01:07 GMT (UK) »
JM....The source of the info actually says born England.  Perhaps he emigrated to the Colony of South Australia.  Possibly an alias.

There is no death for Amelia in Australia in 1892.  I sense the dod has been assumed as James Henry GREATREX re-married with status W = widower, in 1892.  One tree suggest that James 2nd wife, Sophia McLEAN nee POOLE, may not have been a widow.  No death for her husband has been found.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 November 16 01:14 GMT (UK) »
agh  thanks Cando.  :)

I see there's Texas USA dc online  for Albert Ernest ST MORRIS via familysearch.org.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K3C5-CWM
Albert Ernest ST MORRIS died 21 Oct 1951, El Paso.  He was a married man born 9 Oct 1879, Australia.   His parents recorded on that dc as Charles ST MORRIS and Amelia MOTT. Ref #51513

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 04 November 16 01:39 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V48R-M9H
United States World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942  shows Claude Douglas ST MORRIS born Adelaide, South Australia 14 Jan 1883.  :)

There's US Census images showing arrival year possibly as 1896 and/or 1897.  :) for Claude.

ADD
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZKJ-ZFF  WWI draft. same date of birth, same spouse. etc

JM

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 November 16 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes JM I'm sure the OP has all that info.  If I can find it then I'm sure he did...and more:)  It's all on Ancestry anyway.  If you post their names to the search box for Ancestry USA the lot comes up, including WW2 info, vitals, directories, census etc.

There is a Charles St. Morris he's arrived in San Francisco and getting citizenship in 1889, says he's English...not.  The boys arrived 1898 and their death certificates/marriage say mom was Amelia Hodgkins, on another they say Mott and that's her mother's maiden name.

Cando

Offline josh jones

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 November 16 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the US information, unfortunately I've been there and I'm going backwards (from the US to Australia).  I have a dna match with the family in the US so I was going backwards to find the common ancestor in Australia.  Think I have it all now thanks to all the great help on here.  A new story and very interesting.  Thanks for your suggestion anyway!

agh  thanks Cando.  :)

I see there's Texas USA dc online  for Albert Ernest ST MORRIS via familysearch.org.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K3C5-CWM
Albert Ernest ST MORRIS died 21 Oct 1951, El Paso.  He was a married man born 9 Oct 1879, Australia.   His parents recorded on that dc as Charles ST MORRIS and Amelia MOTT. Ref #51513

JM

Offline josh jones

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 04 November 16 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Yep, I have all that, I've travelled back from the US which lead me to Australia.  The Charles Stocker Morris turns out to be an intriguing fellow....to bad none of us are related to him!!  He's an outsider.  He has a grandson that wrote a book about the family and Adelaide in the early days, poems he wrote, on and on, but as I've said...none of us, including the St. Morris boys, are related to him.  But....I'm going to read up on him anyone if to only find out what became of Amelia and what the deal was with these two and their poor spouses!  VERY MANY THANKS ALL.  Great forum.

Yes JM I'm sure the OP has all that info.  If I can find it then I'm sure he did...and more:)  It's all on Ancestry anyway.  If you post their names to the search box for Ancestry USA the lot comes up, including WW2 info, vitals, directories, census etc.

There is a Charles St. Morris he's arrived in San Francisco and getting citizenship in 1889, says he's English...not.  The boys arrived 1898 and their death certificates/marriage say mom was Amelia Hodgkins, on another they say Mott and that's her mother's maiden name.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 04 November 16 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Is this the book?

Pritchard, Morris:‎
From the King's Marshall: A history of the Marshall family from the 12th Century to 1980. Early Descriptions of the United Kingdom, Adelaide, Goolwa, Hindmarsh Valley, Burra and Melbourne.

‎..........Charles Stocker Morris (1851), journalist, poet, traveller and speculator' the authors grandfather who earns no good conduct marks for the way in which he treated his family;....

Seemed to be in the courts for insolvency much of the time ::)

Cando