Author Topic: Who is JAKE HOOD, linked to Hood of Selby - Any help please?  (Read 20597 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Who is JAKE HOOD, linked to Hood of Selby - Any help please?
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 05 November 16 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Paxton I referred is a place 5 miles west of Berwick upon tweed and another 5 miles to Mount Pleasant from Paxton village just over the border in Scotland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimmerghame_House

note:- Scottish border (Vertical for a short distance) near Paxton on map

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Paxton+House/@55.7686187,-2.0602534,14.37z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x488746c89eeee865:0x73dd1287d423be69!8m2!3d55.7611686!4d-2.1100333

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mount+Pleasant+Holiday+Cottages/@55.7443116,-2.23669,12.36z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x48876bdc24bba80d:0x13473bf1b394492f!8m2!3d55.742278!4d-2.314789

Quote Jomot in link

17 Mar 1805 (born 29 Aug 1804) – All Saints – William Robertson 2nd s/o William Robertson Hairdresser by his wife Eleanor d/o Robert Hood, Smith of Paxton, Scotland

unquote

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754247.msg6089148#msg6089148
---------------------------------------
Possible Pearson link

This Charles Hood died before census years but his wife Jane Hood nee Pearson a widow seems to have a bob or two as vocation and a servant in the census

Charles Hood  X Jane Pearson            
11 Jun 1838 All Saints, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England            
Father's Name   John Hood            
Spouse's Father's Name   John Pearson        

Maybe best let you do some study of the vast info on Rootchat and have that break you mention.

:)   
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 06 November 16 08:30 GMT (UK) »

George Hood Gowring Married Violet Burns Hutchinson 1889, Robert Burns Gt. Granddaughter
Also found a George Hood Gowring marrying Violet Burns Hutchinson, at Cheltenham in 1889, she is described in both newspaper extracts as the Great Granddaughter of Robert Burns.

Robert Burns died intestate in 1796.

Regards Mark

EDIT: I made a couple of enquiries to those involved in Robert Burns history/research and waiting to hear.

Hello All

Thank you for comments.

Don't know where the Hood came from in - George Hood Gowring, but his father George James Gowring married at Sculcoates Church, according to newspapers.

Thank you to Claire, she has found the following information:-

Marriage on 1st August 1889 at All Saints in the Parish of Cheltenham
George Hood Gowring, aged 29, Bachelor, Schoolmaster, Residence Berkhamsted, Father - George James Gowring, Clerk in Holy Orders.
Violet Burns Hutchinson, aged 30, Spinster, Residence Cheltenham, Father - Berkely Westropp Hutchinson (deceased) Surgeon.

I found in the York Herald, 18 April 1857 ...
GOWRING - BRITTON.- On the 14th inst., at Sculcoates Church, Hull, by the Rev. H. W. Kemp, the Rev. G. J. Gowring, M. A.,  senior curate of St Martin's-in-the-Fields, London, to Lavinia, youngest daughter of the Rev. J. Britton, M. A., late vicar of Great Bardfield, Essex.

An Online Parish Clerk for this couple has noted:-
St. John & All Saints (Kingstone)
Ilminster
Baptised 7th May 1865 Mary Ellen Gowring
Father - George James Gowring
Mother - Lavinia Gowring

George Hood Gowring gave his father as George James Gowring, Clerk in Holy Orders.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 06 November 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
---------------------------------------
Possible Pearson link

This Charles Hood died before census years but his wife Jane Hood nee Pearson a widow seems to have a bob or two as vocation and a servant in the census

Charles Hood  X Jane Pearson            
11 Jun 1838 All Saints, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England            
Father's Name   John Hood            
Spouse's Father's Name   John Pearson        

Thanks, shall have to see if this quoted marriage is online at the Library and who the witnesses were?

Regarding that Robert Hood, we ruled him out, for some reason.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 06 November 16 11:07 GMT (UK) »

Regarding the Gowring family. They were London based. George James bpt 8 Jan 1823. Father: John William George Gowring and mother Elizabeth Ann.
Baptism at Newington St Mary, father a school master.

Have managed to trace the family back to the mid 1700s but not sure where the Hood comes into it.

All records are on Anc* LMA collection.

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 06 November 16 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Thinking Rabbie Burns seems a bit narcissistic or smart dresser wanting his image on canvas being a few unknown images in 1941 in secretive close knit Quaker hands in very possible , Burns thinking this Thomas hood as a worthy person, and Quakers being close in their society of keeping things/possessions within in the family for historic reasons - FH of the family. Maybe worth spending a bit of time on Thomas's descendants as side line project research just for the fun of it. )(A known Hood who met Rabbie Burns) ???. Its also possible the painting came down a maternal wife's line ie :- Casson line. (seem wide spread Quakers ? )
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 06 November 16 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

Thanks Claire and dobfarm

Thanks re the Gowring search, sounds like any link (if any), is not via Gowring.

Robert Burns was a dissenter, rebelling against the established church.

Burns was a Freemason.
http://www.grandlodgescotland.com/masonic-subjects/robert-burns

Hopefully we'll know a bit more about Burns acquaintance Thomas Hood, when the other replies come back.

Speaking to my father about a possible Scottish link and he said our Hood origin was Scottish, but how far back/ when, is unknown.

Regards Mark

EDIT:
"Ackworth School was founded in 1779 by John Fothergill on behalf of The Religious Society of Friends ( Quakers) ... "
http://www.ackworthschool.com/about/history/

I wonder if this founder of Ackworth School John Fothergill was an ancestor of John Fothergill the Apothecary / Selby Registrar.

DDCL/2086 (East Riding Record Office)
Conditional surrender relating to the Manor of Snaith and Cowick, 24 October 1828.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_st=adv&_ep=John%20fothergill%20of%20Selby&_dss=range&_ro=any

Grace Fothergill was the wife of William Hood of Kirkbridge.
I never discovered why, in 1844 Hood was the Petitioning Creditor in the John Fothergill of Selby, bankruptcy, e.g. family dispute, a settlement, or a debt.

The Will of Ann Robinson of Selby - 1821 to 1823
Will might be interesting?

And this marriage 12 June 1830 after Banns at Hatfield.
William COCKIN of Snaith married Ann ROBINSON

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 06 November 16 21:27 GMT (UK) »

William COCKIN of the parish of Snaith bachelor and Ann ROBINSON of this parish (Hatfield) spinster

married after Banns 12 June 1830 by Thomas Fox, minister

William Cockin signed, Ann Robinson left her mark

Witnesses: John ? ? -orth and William COOKE

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 06 November 16 23:03 GMT (UK) »

JOHN FOTHERGILL born and baptized 12 Sept. 1785 Selby ~ First son of Mark Fothergill of Selby, Surgeon and Apothecary ~ son of Francis Fothergill of Aisker near Bedale yeo(man) by Elizabeth his wife dau of William FRankland of Gafforth Gent.

and..

Hannah dau of Joseph Hall of Selby, brickmaker by Elizabeth his wife dau of John Boswell of Carlton in the parish of Snaith, Gent.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 06 November 16 23:35 GMT (UK) »

JOHN FOTHERGILL born and baptized 12 Sept. 1785 Selby ~ First son of Mark Fothergill of Selby, Surgeon and Apothecary ~ son of Francis Fothergill of Aisker near Bedale yeo(man) by Elizabeth his wife dau of William FRankland of Gafforth Gent.

and..

Hannah dau of Joseph Hall of Selby, brickmaker by Elizabeth his wife dau of John Boswell of Carlton in the parish of Snaith, Gent.

Hi Claire

Thanks for that reply, that is absolutely brilliant!!

One of FOTHERGILLs mothers is of HOOD descent/linked?

Gafforth should read Yafforth.

WILLIAM HOOD, of Kirkbridge, co. York, and lord of the Manor of West Firsby, co. Lincoln, married Grace, daughter of Francis-Firby Fothergill,* of Aiskew, co. York, and granddaughter of William Frankland, of Trinity College, Cambridge, and lord of the Manor of Yafforth, co. York, and had issue,

I.    John, his heir, now of Nettleham.
I.    Elizabeth, married to Capt. J. A. Moore, R.N.
II.   Grace, married to William Danby, Esq., co. Lincoln.

* For the history of this ancient family see DRAKE’S History of York, published in 1736.

Fuller Hood descent here (Reply #3) ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=753233.3

Wm Danby's son, rather than take the surname Danby, took his Grandfather's surname of Hood.

I wonder sometimes, if my George Hood has done something similar.

Still waiting for the Newcastle replies, though.
Regards Mark