Author Topic: Moses Bickford - New Hampshire  (Read 1235 times)

Offline EmmaPettit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Moses Bickford - New Hampshire
« on: Thursday 03 November 16 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for some help again.

I'm searching for information on Moses Bickford and his wife Priscilla Chick. They were married in 1771 in Rochester, NH. They had a daughter in 1777 Jane Bickford. Beyond this I have not been able to find any information on the couple.

Any leads would be fantastic.

Thanks for taking the time.
Pettit -Cambridgeshire UK - QLD Australia
Bird - Huntingdonshire UK - QLD Australia
Rickert - Germany-Australia
Ford - QLD Australia
Hussey - New Hampshire USA
Ellis - New Hampshire USA - QLD Australia
Bickford, Hall, Lilley, Stearn, Savidge

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Moses Bickford - New Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 November 16 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you have the following information?

There's an online book that states:
"Marriages by Rev. Dr. Jeremy Belknap - 1767-1776"
June 10 - Moses Bickford and Priscilla Chick.  They were both of Rochester.

Looking online again, it appears that Rev. Dr. Belknap was associated with  First Church, Dover, New Hampshire.

If you do have the above information, have you tried researching the church, to see if there are any additional records?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 November 16 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you viewed an online book (the version I found has to be downloaded and it keeps "crashing") - New Hampshire Genealogical Records...

It has several Bickfords mentioned including a couple from 1753
Rochester Baptisms (page 73)
May 27 - "Baptized Enoch Winget"  Rebecca Forst and Moses Bickford were mentioned.
Perhaps this Moses could be related to "your" Moses?

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 November 16 17:34 GMT (UK) »
At least two online trees state that "your" Moses Bickford died 6-Jan-1806.  They do not state source information.   :-\

An online tree states that Mary Jane Bickford was born 24 July 1777.

According to the tree, they state that Priscilla Chick was born 1750 Kittery, York, Maine.  Again, no source was included.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 November 16 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Priscilla and Bickford were apparently common names at that time and in New Hampshire, but there is mention of
Marriages as recorded by Mr. Haven, Rochester
July 8th (1794) Tristram Copp (Tufton-boro) "with" Priscilla Bickford of Rochester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 November 16 18:14 GMT (UK) »
On one of the paysites is a will for
Joseph Bickford (Husbandman) who was weak in body but sound in mind of Rochester, County of Strafford, NH.  In his will, written 10-Dec-1806, he names:
Wife, Phebe
Son, John
Daughter, Lydia
Daughter, Betsy
Son, Moses
Son, Joel
Son, Henry
29th Day of November 1810 - Joseph Bickford was deceased
Court of probate holders at Dover

Offline EmmaPettit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 November 16 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your help. I do have the record for their marriage. I have been able to find lots of Bickfords in the NH and MA are but none that I have come across so far have given me any leads. I too have seen the trees online stating the 1806 deaths and have messaged the tree owners but have never got a reply and I have not been successful in finding anything with that date. I do know that both Moses and Priscilla were both dead by 1829 when their daughter got married because it states so in the book.
The New Hampshire Genealogical Records book you downloaded, do you remember at all what Volume it was? I have a few downloaded myself but I couldn’t find one in there. I might not have the Vol you were trying to look at.

Thank you for taking the time and having a look for me. I greatly appreciate the help.

Cheers.
Pettit -Cambridgeshire UK - QLD Australia
Bird - Huntingdonshire UK - QLD Australia
Rickert - Germany-Australia
Ford - QLD Australia
Hussey - New Hampshire USA
Ellis - New Hampshire USA - QLD Australia
Bickford, Hall, Lilley, Stearn, Savidge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for the delay in replying.   :-[  If you haven't already found answers to your question...

One of the books (that doesn't have to be downloaded) can be found typing the following words (all of them) and doing an internet search:
"enoch winget" "rebecca forst" "moses bickford"
The internet search results will include
  "The New Hampshire Genealogical Record: An illustrated..." dated 1908
  (this is for Rochester Baptisms, Page 73)
This link may work, rather than typing the above words:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01iw4/