Author Topic: Bertrams  (Read 11361 times)

Offline er4ZyY7u

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bertrams
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 May 10 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I am also interested in this thread.

I'm specifcally researching the surname Bertram. But, other surnames around this period include Hope, Dudgeon, Summerbell, Allen and Liddell.

These various families are currently located within the Border Counties of Scotland but a migration seems apparent for the Bertrams.

If anyone is interested in possibly collaborating and connected please let me know.

Also hdw, do you happen know more information on the farmers in Berwickshire? I know that Thomas Bertram was an owner within the mid 1700s. I'm trying to find out more information about Bertrams in specifically Berwickshire.

Take care,

Sam Bertram

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 May 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
I haven't researched the BERTRAMS in a systematic fashion, being mainly interested in their connection with my STEPHENSONS, but here for what it's worth is a page of rough notes on the surname in East Lothian and Berwickshire (attachment).

John Hutton Browne's Glimpses into the Past in Lammermuir was reprinted in 1998 by Alba Press of Jedburgh.

If you can get your hands on copies of the Scottish Genealogy Society Berwickshire Monumental Inscriptions volumes, you'll find lots of BERTRAM entries, esp. for Cranshaws churchyard.

Best wishes,

Harry

Offline Mary G.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 May 10 19:19 BST (UK) »
We are Bertrams from East Lothian. My husband's 2G grandfather was Hugh Bertram, farm steward at Fenton Barns, the farm of George Hope, near Dirleton. Hugh (born 1809 in Dirleton) was the son of John Bertram and Ann Walker of Whitekirk and Dirleton respectively. Hugh married Isabella Mack in Dirleton in 1835. His 9 surviving children emigrated in a slow 30 year trickle to Canada starting in 1860. He and Isabella came as well in the 1880's.
Two sons, George and John ended up as federal MPs.

Offline Grandies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 March 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have been researching the Tait forebears of my husband in Northumberland. For several generations they have been farm workers in the Ancroft, Kyloe and Goswick areas near Holy Island. I am now seeking the family of Thomas Tait, born in 1803 and shows his birthplace as Berwick Scotland.
One possibility I am checking is that he was the son of John Tait and Margaret Bertram (Bartram) married in Humbie, East Lothian in 1803.
There are other possibilities that I am exploring, but I wondered if anyone had encountered this couple in their searches?
Many thanks,
Eileen
Tait, Scullion, Taaffe

Offline Leia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 23:48 BST (UK) »
Do any of you have Jessie Craig Bertram in your files?  She was the daughter of Robert Bertram and Allison Cockburn Bertram. She was born February 24, 1885 in Ormiston; married David Thomson Amos on the 22nd of June, 1906 at Pardovan in Cranstoun.