Author Topic: GRO indexes on gro.gov.uk !  (Read 59769 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: GRO indexes on gro.gov.uk !
« Reply #99 on: Saturday 05 November 16 08:25 GMT (UK) »
From http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=709961.9 I wonder what the chance is that the price for uncertified digital images may drop further in future or whether it will stay at the level of £6 per uncertified image if its been digitised already or £8 for one that has not been digitised (as per the link to the relevant Statutory Instrument in yesterday's Lost Cousins Newsletter)?

"(4) The Registrar General may charge such fees as appropriate in relation to making and delivering a copy of a record which is not a certified copy, but such a fee shall be no more than £3.00 per record."

As I stated earlier I foresee the initial price to be the same as a certificate but once the tendering process is conculded and the entries can be supplied dgitally the price could drop to the £3.00p level or even below that.

Both are snippets of Guy's post reply 12 on the above link, edited to emphasise my point.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday 05 November 16 08:26 GMT (UK) »
I have now ordered the said cert, hopefully it will solve a few questions.

I like the idea of how to go about ordering certs now, so much easier than before, well done GRO

Louisa Maud
And cheaper for Aussies ;) Thanks Brexit :D
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Saturday 05 November 16 09:06 GMT (UK) »
I am using the new GRO facility to help identify children who were born and died in between Censuses.

I would be interested in knowing what different ways, others are using the facilities.

I've used it to find maiden names and then marriages. I had several relatives I'd found on earlier censuses  - husband, wife and children. They were too distant for me to want to get a birth certificate to find the mother's name, but now by using the GRO and looking for the births of all the children I've been able to identify the mother and find a marriage.

I also managed to confirm that my great grandfather had children by his second wife.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MagicMirror

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Saturday 05 November 16 09:37 GMT (UK) »
I've been adding lost children to most of my 19th century ancestors - and it was a rare family that didn't lose at least 1 child. I've found 3 half siblings (all died in infancy) for my gt grandfather.  I'd always wondered if his mother had any children from her 1st marriage. I've also found a twin for one of my gt gt grandmothers.  Today I'm going to try and narrow down some Jones families in Wales - wish me luck  :P

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Saturday 05 November 16 09:48 GMT (UK) »
  Today I'm going to try and narrow down some Jones families in Wales - wish me luck  :P

Almost as bad as looking at Wilsons in Lancashire!!

I wonder if this will cause a drop in subscriptions to some of the pay to view Sites? It seems a much more straightforward method of searching for UK BMDs to me...

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Saturday 05 November 16 09:51 GMT (UK) »
  Today I'm going to try and narrow down some Jones families in Wales - wish me luck  :P

Almost as bad as looking at Wilsons in Lancashire!!

I wonder if this will cause a drop in subscriptions to some of the pay to view Sites? It seems a much more straightforward method of searching for UK BMDs to me...

Romilly.

Romilly wasn't it you who never could find your grandad Wilson (he was buried near Wembley?)

Or am I cracking up  ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Saturday 05 November 16 09:55 GMT (UK) »

LOL Carol, - I think I did crack up looking for him!!

I've been looking for about 40yrs now, but can still only find him on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses...
Ancestry says he's Buried at St Andrew's Kingsbury, - but they deny all knowledge of him.

Romilly ::)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Saturday 05 November 16 09:59 GMT (UK) »

LOL Carol, - I think I did crack up looking for him!!

I've been looking for about 40yrs now, but can still only find him on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses...
Ancestry says he's Buried at St Andrew's Kingsbury, - but they deny all knowledge of him.

Romilly ::)

No luck with this new GRO info yet then?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Saturday 05 November 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Having to specify male or female and a search of only +/- 2 years of a specified date is a bit limiting, so a broad search on other sites followed by a search on GRO when I have some strong possibilities is what I'm doing at the moment.

Has anyone found any errors yet? I have found death of Mary Ann Eltham Q4 1837 Birmingham aged 13 years, but in reality she was 13 months when she died
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott