Author Topic: Invaluable source of information free until the end of December  (Read 8076 times)

Offline dawncat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Invaluable source of information free until the end of December
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 19 November 16 07:57 GMT (UK) »
thanks for this, registered easily and have already found some ancestors that had me stumped before  :)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 20 November 16 10:24 GMT (UK) »
thanks for this, registered easily and have already found some ancestors that had me stumped before  :)

Really pleased you have found it useful. Their problems with registration and annoying pop ups seem resolved, so I would recommend anyone with carmarthenshire (or even Pembrokeshire or Glamorganshire) roots to give them a go. There is a huge amount of information on there, including pictures of pages from very early parish records. The Carmarthenshire images you will find hard to find elsewhere,  especially as the record office is shut for the forseeable future.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 20 November 16 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Someone asked how this site compares to FindMyPast- I can see from a couple of parishes that FindMyPast records go further back. I've got results from Meidrim off FindMyPast for the end of the 1600s.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 20 November 16 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Someone asked how this site compares to FindMyPast- I can see from a couple of parishes that FindMyPast records go further back. I've got results from Meidrim off FindMyPast for the end of the 1600s.

Thanks for this info. Not subscribed to Find My Past, will consider a subscription. Are these early records on FindMyPast indexed at all, or are just images?

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 20 November 16 16:04 GMT (UK) »
My focus areas are quite specific so I can't speak about Carmarthenshire generally, but I've seen transcriptions and images for Meidrim although I can't recall if all transcriptions had images attached (it's been a while).

If you hurry, there's a world sub for a month for £1 offer going on at the moment- I think it ends tomorrow. There's a thread about it in the common room area.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 20 November 16 16:29 GMT (UK) »
My focus areas are quite specific so I can't speak about Carmarthenshire generally, but I've seen transcriptions and images for Meidrim although I can't recall if all transcriptions had images attached (it's been a while).

If you hurry, there's a world sub for a month for £1 offer going on at the moment- I think it ends tomorrow. There's a thread about it in the common room area.

Thanks for the heads up on the offer, but unfortunately already seems to have expired unless others gave a different discount code from 1WORLD?

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 20 November 16 16:44 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for the heads up on the offer, but unfortunately already seems to have expired unless others gave a different discount code from 1WORLD?

Found this link http://www.findmypast.co.uk/british-military-records?sourceID=13&utm_source=affiliate&utm_content=LostCousins&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=%20fmp_uk&awc=2114_1479660081_9453fd97d626d23ed4d5ff7d79a51baa&dclid=CMOS2azjt9ACFWGh7QodyfYOPQ which still seems to work

As others have said don't forget to go into your personal detail an untick automatically renew my subscripition, otherwise after a month they will start charging you the full amount

Offline Rhosgoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Betsy Saer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 20 November 16 16:58 GMT (UK) »
UKGenealogy has scans back to 1665 as well for Meidrim. I think they have scans of all available Carms Parish Registers. Not all parishes are included on FindMyPast but they are on UKGen. As Roy says it is an invaluable source of records, including many chapel records found nowhere else.

I think the recent problems with pop ups, etc was general in Rootsweb lists. Dyfed lists were also affected and offline for weeks.

Rhosgoch

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 20 November 16 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately they appear to have exactly the same missing registers for Carew and Castlemartin as FindMyPast.  The registers for Carew exist because I've viewed a transcript of them at the Society of Genealogists library (although I suppose they could be BTs) and Familysearch has extacted entries for Castlemartin. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day