Author Topic: Birdwell street query  (Read 3248 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birdwell street query
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 November 16 15:01 GMT (UK) »
In the 1950  1960 period  there was a combination of slum clearance and new house building after the war in many towns and cities
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Keswick Owl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 August 23 23:50 BST (UK) »
Robinsons Terrace was located by the side of the Travellers Rest pub, just off Chapel Street. It was still there until the 1980s when it was condemned. One of my great Grandfathers was born there in the late 1870s.

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 August 23 19:59 BST (UK) »
A lot of the terraces in the nearby village (as it was then) of Stocksbridge were named, unoficially, for a person who lived there / had a shop there / built them. 
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 00:17 BST (UK) »
Robinson and Parker terrace rows were narrow rows of houses running at 90' degree  or adjacent to Chapel St - in relationship the old Travellers inn to todays Traveller Inn

The white painted upstairs row of 4 windows (from the back end of the white painted narrow houses row) in link could be remnants of the old Robinson Terrace row in link below

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5068235,-1.4808407,3a,75y,350.21h,84.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7kCnAWCHm-x6DiVQzs0Uzg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Keswick Owl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 23:34 BST (UK) »
No, those windows in the white wall belong to the cottage and workshop of the local wheelwright, Mr Crapper. I'm a lady who was brought up and lived in the village for half my life.

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 00:51 BST (UK) »
No, those windows in the white wall belong to the cottage and workshop of the local wheelwright, Mr Crapper. I'm a lady who was brought up and lived in the village for half my life.

Hi Keswick

What made me think the white buildings or Mr Crapper'S COTTAGE AND WORKSHOP was a rebuild using remnants  of the old Robbinsons cottages was the gable end row of house opposte by the white car and line up with the right angled white cottage ( see snippets)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth