Author Topic: O'Rorke, O'Rourke, Rourke, Rorke, Uí Ruairc of Galway.  (Read 6325 times)

Offline SheIreland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Rorke, O'Rourke, Rourke, Rorke, Uí Ruairc of Galway.
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 23 April 22 20:15 BST (UK) »
I don’t have much.  This is Thomas O’Rorke and Mary Heraghty. Thomas lived in Bagnalstown until he was sent to B’more Eustace for the “air”.  He died there. I was brought to Arles as a child to see all the graves. I saw your pm but I can’t find it now!! I’m new here.  Were you doing a blog a few years back.  I saw it and gave it to my brother who usually deals with family business. He’s older and so knows more. Im surprised he didn’t get in touch with you because we are second cousins! 😀  I was just 10 when my granny (mary Teresa) died and she wasn’t a fan of small kids! So there were no heart to hearts iykwim. Pm me again. Please.

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 24 April 22 11:13 BST (UK) »
She Ireland,
Absolutely amazing, I have been doing FH for so long, the things I have learnt, and the people I have met have been way beyond what I would have thought was going to come in the first place.
The O'Rorke(my mum's maiden name) side has always been a mystery, a long story and not really for public view. I would love to tell you, and I am going to send you another PM, if you don't get it, post here again.
That picture is unbelievable! I knew there must have been something out there of him because of who he was. Thank you, there is someone I know who would be most impressed to see such a picture.
Once again, I will send you a PM, and thank you.
Pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
mills, kildare and queens
jones, Caernarvonshire
brophy, carlow and dublin
o'rorke galway and carlow and laois
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline SheIreland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 24 April 22 13:13 BST (UK) »
I think I read your story some years ago on a blog post. So I think I know some of it. Sad and surprising to read tbh.  You had a photo of yourself on there and there was a noticeable resemblance to one of my brothers! 
I think the thanks will be going the other way when you find out I’m new to FH research and will be piggybacking on yours! Ha!
I’ve emailed you. I’m also pleased to meet you. I started FH just a week ago!!

Offline Irishfreckles

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 28 November 22 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi. First time on the site for me. Your post about Thomas caught my eye. My Gr Gr grandfather Dennis  (Denis) Rourke was likely from Galway and I have been searching for years for the exact spot. He was born in 1834. His parents were James Rourke and Cecelia Heath (this information comes from his death certificate). He had a younger brother James (born 1843) who also emigrated to New York State. The obituary of Dennis says he also had brothers Thomas, Patrick and James all living still in Ireland. Dennis died in 1901 and is buried in Williamstown, New York. He was a prosperous farmer. I have never been able to find birth/baptismal records for him. The only information I have that he was from Galway is in a local history book for the town of Williamstown written during his lifetime that states he was born in Galway, Ireland.
I do not know if your Thomas is a brother of my Denis. I have found information on some Rourkes living near Cloonfagna in the Parish of Ballynakill including a James Senior and Junior and a Patrick.
Another possibility  is from Griffiths Valuation list that a James, John, and Thomas Rourke were tenants in the Parish of Kiltartan, Town of Lissatunny near Gort from 1847-1864.

Offline halerourke

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Finglespete and SheIreland, I have read your rootschat with extreme interest.  IrishFreckles is my cousin and we have both been researching our Rourke roots in Ireland for years to try to find where in Galway or Roscommon they are from.  Pete and are 5th-8th cousins by DNA on Ancestry.com.  This means that somehow we are related.  As my cousin said, our great-grandfather Dennis had a brother Thomas, who may have been a constable.  My aunt Eileen said one of the Rourkes was indeed a famous constable, but didn't name them.  I believe based on land records that our Rourkes may have come from Ballynakill Parish in Ballymoe on the Roscommon border, possibly in Cloonfaghna or Derreen.  Our Heath great-grandmother was probably from Tisrara parish right across the border or could have also been from Derreen because I have another DNA match with a Bartholomew Heath, who rented in Derreen in the 1830s. 
We would appreciate all the help you can give both of us.  We want to find where they are from and visit that part of Ireland soon.  Thanks for all you do, HaleRourke