Author Topic: Using Family Search - Incorrect Duplicate Entries.  (Read 709 times)

Offline haddockinthekitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Using Family Search - Incorrect Duplicate Entries.
« on: Sunday 06 November 16 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I am using Family Search, amongst other sites to help with my research.
They ask you to put a few relatives in (which I did) but then one family member "linked" to a whole dynasty of others, going back to the 15th century, none of which are in fact my relatives.
Has anyone else had this experience?
I have entered JOHN DREW myself, and there is another one, alongside him, and effectively it's a duplicate - I had a hint that "my" John Drew might be a duplicate, and I verified him by some records, but I don't seem to be be able to erase the huge family I have suddenly acquired.
Any ideas as to what I can do?
There contact page asks for a phone number which I don't want to give, so I am now a bit stuck.
Thanks in advance
Walls of Kenn. Flamank of Boscarne, Courtenay, Aurelius.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Using Family Search - Incorrect Duplicate Entries.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 November 16 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You say you used family search to search for information, however I think you clicked on the family tree and entered your details.

Perhaps if you click on "get help" box and enter delete individual and follow instructions you may be
Lucky!

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline haddockinthekitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Using Family Search - Incorrect Duplicate Entries.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 November 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I have (finally!) managed to "chop off" the instant family I was given when I entered my first few people.
I can only assume it was because of the usual problem of people cutting and pasting info that isn't backed up.
Unlike Ancestry where you choose (or not) to add this (incorrect or unvalidated info) this site seems to add it for you - all very strange.
It started at the point I entered....my great great grandparents, one of whom is called John Drew.
The system seemed to link me to a John Drew who was not a relative.
Also, I had made an error (as they layout wasn't that clear) and had placed them on the maternal side and not the paternal side which also skewed things rather.
Anyway, all sorted now.
Yes, I did click on the help but it was of the generic type.
Thanks for your reply!
Walls of Kenn. Flamank of Boscarne, Courtenay, Aurelius.