Poll

Would You clean off a Gravestone to see the name behind ??

Yes Full stop !
16 (16.5%)
Yes to the point i could read the info
62 (63.9%)
No not at all
5 (5.2%)
Clean it completely ?
6 (6.2%)
Other !
8 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Author Topic: Re Cleaning Gravestones !!  (Read 22407 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re Cleaning Gravestones !!
« Reply #27 on: Friday 09 September 05 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick
we dont have many churchyards in Wirral so dont have a poblem with weeds and trees :D I dont think churches are under any obligation to look after graves or the stones.That as said previously by another, is up to the relatives.Sadly there may not be anyone left to look after it or they dont know it there.If they do they may not be interested in thier past.It IS UP TO THE CHURCH to keep the churchyard in good order by doing the gardening ;D
I dont have a problem because the cem i use is council.
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 09 September 05 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia

Modern graveyards are generally municipally owned and tended by the local authority as you say. However, many older MIs are in churchyards and will generally have their grass cut by the local council, who will also visit once or twice a year to prune trees. Individual tombs can get neglected. As both a churchwarden and family history researcher, I try to consider the possibility of people wanting to view a grave or MI and have a go at excessive vegetation on a regular basis. Unfortunately not everybody has been so attentive in the past and several tombs have been damaged by the growth of sycamore roots. Prevention being better than cure, I just wanted to share the point about the impact of root systems and over zealous weeding with others.

Am off to see my grandfather's grave for the first time in two weeks or so. I hope it is such nice surroundings as the one in your picture.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline iancantwell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
For advice on cleaning and reading gravestones from an expert see the two articles by Brian J. Cantwell for the RSAI and the Bray Historical Record. These are reprinted in the Memorials of the Dead CD and freely available on www.iancantwell.com
Yours
Ian Cantwell

Offline Billysgran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 19 September 10 15:25 BST (UK) »
I have had quite a lot to do with cemeteries and headstones and I do agree that they, in the main, should be left alone if at all possible.  If it HAS to be cleaned to read, soap and water is all that is required, and a soft brush.  Remember that lichen is actually protected, so to remove is technically illegal.

When you consider the age of some of our cemeteries, do we really want them looking pristine and new?  I think not.  An ancient cemetery should look ancient, and not new.

Billysgran

Offline senteacher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 21:55 BST (UK) »
I found the grave of my g. g. g. grandmother recently.  There were the remains of a wooden cross lying face down on it.  A more recent stone memorial had been placed there by her son-in-law.  When I lifted the cross up, I found that it contained the names of some of her children who had been buried with her. I had been unable to find their whereabouts until I checked the cross.  I used the only thing I had available to clean off the mud - a tissue.  When I had finished, I replaced the cross in exactly the same place. Hopefully, I've caused no damage and the soil will protect it for another few decades.

I do clean the headstones of family members and have done ever since I took my aunt to her grandmother's grave.  She was so upset by the state of it that I promised to keep it clear for others to be able to read it and as a mark of respect to her. I also clean my grandparent's grave at least once per year. I think the state of many of our cemeteries leaves a lot to be desired. European cemeteries put ours to shame as they're so well tended.
Stewart, Gray, Bews (Orkney/Tyneside), Byrne (Ireland; England; USA; Canada),Colvin (Tyneside), Dingwall (Moray/Tyneside), Harforth (Yorks/Tyneside), Frater (Ntblnd/Durham), McGee (Nc/le-Tyne), Ormston(Ntblnd/Durham), Potts (Nc/le-Tyne), Pye (Ntblnd /Norfolk), Robson (Ntblnd/Durham), Sanderson (Ntblnd/Durham), Screech(Devon/Yorks) Stott (Ntblnd/Durham), Summers (Ntblnd), Tinline (Scotland, England, Australia, New Zealand and S. Africa), Tate (Ntblnd), Urwin (Ntblnd/Durham

Offline Billysgran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 18:48 BST (UK) »
I don't think you can compare European cemeteries with English ones, because you simply do not know where the funding for this comes from.  There are a lot of things to consider.  Just over seven years ago I set up a Friends group to save an ancient cemetery, one of the earliest in England.  since then I have not only read a lot, I have had considerable conversation with the Council in question, and therefore I know many things that others do not.

In Europe, the families look after their own headstone.  In England, for some odd reason, families believe the headstone is the Council's responsibility, which it is not.  In Europe, there is huge respect for the elderly of the family - you cannot say the same about England generally.  In Europe on 1 November, which is All Souls Day, the families all go to the cemetery, this does not happen in England.  For years, no-one has really bothered about this problem (save a few of us) and it is only since the advent of family history that people have decided to visit graves of our forebears.  For this reason alone, you cannot compare England with Europe.  The Council I have had lots of contact with are very sympathetic to the cause, however, Bereavement Services get a meagre amount of funding out of the Council Budget - it is the same for all councils.  They have to put the bulk of their money into new and frequently used cemeteries, not closed ones.  This is perfectly understandable, if regrettable.  The general public's idea of restoring an ancient cemetery is to have it all looking like a war cemetry - all clean and pristine, which is out of touch with what they really should look like.  There is no good having a cemetery which opened in 1836 looking brand new - it is simply not right.    There are rules in cemetery, unwritten, but they are there because of conservation.  Too much cleaning of headstones is not what is desirable.  In Bristol, at Arnos Vale which is a wonderful cemetery, Conservation will not allow them to remove ivy from certain headstones - pourely because the ivy prevents the headstone from being seen, and at the same time, prevents the headstone from becoming the target of vandals.  I am not saying I agree with this, but I can understand it, having been involved so heavily with 'my' cemetery.  There are many issues and I could be here all night writing about it, which I do't intend to be.  All I would say is that in cleaning of headstones, please bear in mind the age of the cemetery, only use products (if necessary) that are environmentally friendly, and if in any doubt, ask either the local Council or Conservation.

Billysgran

Offline sammy12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 15 November 10 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello. This is to billysgran. How do you clean the headstone? With soap and water ? I am trying to read my great great  great  grandfather who was laid to rest in 1895 . I have very little time and need a very quick and effective method. Can you or anyone eles help? The first few post seem much too involved.  Thank you in advance

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 15 November 10 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello. This is to billysgran. How do you clean the headstone? With soap and water ? I am trying to read my great great  great  grandfather who was laid to rest in 1895 . I have very little time and need a very quick and effective method. Can you or anyone eles help? The first few post seem much too involved.  Thank you in advance

If you have little time leave it alone.

You if you are in a hurry you will probably do damage to the stone, you could even completely remove the inscription if the stone has frost damage.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Billysgran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 15 November 10 08:30 GMT (UK) »

There are certain products on the market which are environmentally friendly, but they are very expensive.  Soap and water and a soft brush is the best thing.  it will not be perfect if it is very dirty, but should enable you to read the inscription.  You may find that if the grave is in a cemetery, a local society may have recorded the inscription anyway, that is always worth a try.  A lot depends on what the stone is made of.  If it's granite, you will be very lucky, but I suspect it will not be.  Just take it carefully and don't scrub the stone away - some delaminate very easily.  Best of luck, I know how much this kind of thing means, I am a genealogist myself.

Billysgran