Poll

Would You clean off a Gravestone to see the name behind ??

Yes Full stop !
16 (16.5%)
Yes to the point i could read the info
62 (63.9%)
No not at all
5 (5.2%)
Clean it completely ?
6 (6.2%)
Other !
8 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Author Topic: Re Cleaning Gravestones !!  (Read 22406 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re Cleaning Gravestones !!
« Reply #36 on: Monday 15 November 10 08:40 GMT (UK) »
If you take a powerful torch with you, and shine the light across the surface of the stone, any indentations will be clearer.   I normally take at least two high-resolution digital photos of a stone taken from different angles, preferably with light shining across the face of the stone (don't use flash !).  Then when I get back, I can use a Photoshop type program to try to enhance the images I've obtained.   I would not advise cleaning any stone unless it is so covered that it is totally unreadable but what I would ALWAYS do is to clear Ivy and other creeping plants completely away, because Ivy will cause more damage to a stone than Lichen or Moss ever will.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sammy12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 15 November 10 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to all who took the time to answer. I will be quite careful,for I believe those who came before us has the right to be heard. Thank you again

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 03 December 10 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Safety is the first thing as sinking over grown graves and unstable vertical headstones. If you break a leg on the unsafe council land like pot hole in a path you would claim so think about it. You need to ask what you can do or not with the church/chapel or council first.
Chalk or wet the stone clear clean water !  photo at different times of the day and angles or a rub with wet moss or remove wet moss on graves AND RUB THE STONE with someone else with you INCASE OF ACCIDENT and GET permission FIRST.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth