Author Topic: Am I being blind? - Jones in Meidrim  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Am I being blind? - Jones in Meidrim
« on: Wednesday 09 November 16 20:41 GMT (UK) »
While trying to find out more information about my Jones family in Meidrim, I came across an administration which was granted 10th April 1772, the estate of Theophilus JONES, yeoman of Mydrim, the husband of Margaret, now wife of Josiah EVANS. My William JONES (the furthest ancestor back) named his son Theophilus and if they were following naming convention this would suggest his brother was a Theophilus, hence my interest.

Here's the flaw- I can't find any other information on Theophilus. There should be a burial for him and a remarriage for Margaret JONES but the closest I could see was a marriage to a Josiah DAVID. I can't see a marriage between Theophilus and Margaret either. My sudden lead turned immediately into a sudden dead end.

Am I being completely blind? I'd appreciate a second (or third, or fourth...) set of eyes.

Thanks in advance,
Ayashi

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
Re: Am I being blind? - Jones in Meidrim
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 16 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Is this your posting (I simply googled Theophilus Jones Meidrim)?

http://www.forumwales.co.uk/fwforum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7174
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 November 16 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's mine (what a while ago!) That Theophilus is the son of my William.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 November 16 12:34 GMT (UK) »
The Margaret Jones who married Josiah David 13 Nov 1768 was a Spinster (FreeREG)

There is this Marriage on Familysearch.Org;
Marriage; 20 June 1769
Marriage Banns;  Cilrhedyn, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Josiah EVANS to Margaret JONES

Entry can be accessed through Findmypast

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 November 16 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I didn't think to look outside Carmarthenshire. (Wow, just looked that up, it's only about 9 miles away)

I was hoping to trace Theophilus back. I know from the marriage of William (in Mydrim) that he was native of Llangathen. I don't think the records for Llangathen go back far enough for a convincing match for William's birth but if the marriage for Theophilus also claimed he was native of Llangathen and had moved to Mydrim it could be suggestive. If I could nail down any children, naming convention might also help. A burial might give an approximate age.

Except, obviously, he appears to be eluding me.

Thanks for help :)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 November 21 00:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm aware I'm performing thread necromancy on my own topic (was it really so long ago??) but I've got nowhere with this lead still and was about to post a new thread when I thought to look if I'd already done so (turns out I did...).

Anyone named "Theophilus" is probably my best chance at a lead on the JONES side. It might be that the marriage record of this Theophilus to Margaret hasn't survived but it might be very helpful to find it.

Would appreciate some fresh eyes on this one :)