Author Topic: Missing Ancestor's Birth  (Read 7471 times)

Offline Bram Taylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Ancestor's Birth
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 13 November 16 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'll go along with that, we have two candidates for Thomas's 'Father'? The christening of Thomas to parents Joseph and Alice in Heptonstall and his identifying Blakey Hartley as his father in his later marriage. As Joseph has now been proven to be deceased it seems to be what we would today call an adoption by Blakey? Thomas did very well for himself to become a Tailor and I wondered if there would be any papers indenturing him to a master Tailor?

I have been searching all day with all possible spelling for Thomas 1841 - Nothing -Nowt!

Bram
Taylor, Baker, Milns, Bayley, Bailey, Evers, Shropshire.
Sewell, Prestidge, Northamptonshire.
Simpson, Mitchell, Edmondson, Slater, Abbott, West Riding Yorkshire.
Zelley, Eggleton, White, Lovell, Purchase, Dorset.
Neech, Suffolk, Norfolk.
Singleton, Surrey,
Eggleton, Buckingham/Surrey

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 13 November 16 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Taking Thomas Abbott (Abbet-Abbot) (Habbett or Habbet) circa approximated/estimated year of birth 1829 Heptonstall in Yorkshire is the datum point to work back from.

Heptonstall is a place of a lot of near to each other villages & parishes along the river Calder valley between Halifax and Todmorden with Hebden Bridge in between:- There was a high concentration of non conformity chapels also Quakers meeting houses along with Anglican religion.

(( a word of  caution - Its possible Blakey Hartley's (a Rag dealer) had a father called Blakey Hartley in Trade directory))

Blakey Hartley of Windy Hill, Colne 1851c and Thomas's marriage - Blakey Hartley (abode 'Windy bank' Colne in Trades directory) occupation deals in Rags

Also Dyer, Shopkeeper and dealer of Earthenware, Glass and China ware.
It would seem Blakey Hartley had a few trades and a man of some means: see link below. Trades Directory Colne 1824 & 1829

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=G4AfAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA622&dq=blakey+hartley+colne&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=blakey%20hartley%20colne&f=false

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=hdMHAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA249&dq=blakey+hartley+barnoldswick&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=blakey%20hartley%20barnoldswick&f=false
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 13 November 16 12:57 GMT (UK) »
If Blakey Hartley left a Will with a probate record may resolve some matters
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 13 November 16 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Dobfarm,
Do you have Blakey Hartley in 1841?

There is one in Colne - 65 yrs, a winder in the same household as Betty Hargreaves and other Hargreaves.
Added: this is not him- he is at 1851 /2254/185/15

One 55 yrs, a Shopkeeper in Heptonstall living alone in High Street.

One 55 yrs a farmer with wife Hannah in Warley. These are in 1851

1851 and 1861
Blakey and Betty are in Windy Bank.

There doesn't seem to be a will.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Is there any way I can attach a short family tree to my message? Two pages made in Ancestry. It would make things much more easy to see. It is the direct path from my uncle to joseph and it is complicated because I have two paths to Joseph as my cousin and uncle are Abbotts of course but also, my maternal grandfather married an Abbott relative before he married my maternal grandmother, I told you it was complicated!!
Bram,

Hello Bram

I would have to go to the Library to access your tree. But are you saying that two lines originating from a same family union, have later married across the two lines?

I was reading something published fairly recently about Quaker families and the author is claiming that this practice occurred?

Putting that comment to one side, I have been searching the British Newspaper Archive for Habbett and found the following, who may, or may not be related:-

15 January 1805
Habbett was Master of the "Catherine" from London. This Norfolk newspaper was giving the arrivals at Yarmouth, but we know that vessels navigated the East Coast of England on the German Ocean (renamed the North Sea), to places in Yorkshire and up the East coast to Scotland.

Families involving Masters, Mariners, Seamen and Sailors are notoriously difficult to trace.

Carrying on with a Nautical theme ...

October 1869
In the Cardiff Times (Wales) a Joseph Habbett, Seaman, being assaulted, in Bute Road. Wound dressed by Dr Jones.

August 1873
At Cardiff Police Court (Wales) "Obstructing Board of Trade Surveyor" regarding Mr Habbett, a Board of Trade Surveyor being obstructed on board the Charlotte Harrison.

Thomas Plain, of Cardiff, shipowner.
Mr Miller, Board of Trade.
Mr Ensor appeared in support of the charge.

Alnwick Mercury 30 May 1874
Bronze Medallion awarded to R. M. Glasspole for saving the life of Richard Habbett in the River Thames, Hammersmith, London.

They may not be of any use to you at all, but may be of use to other searchers.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 13:16 GMT (UK) »
An internet search engine search for Quakers (Society of Friends) Obituaries - type in, in commas "The Annual Monitor" "Blakey"

A few Blakey are Quakers.
A few Hartley are Quakers.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=%22The+Annual+Monitor%22+%22Blakey%22

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=%22The+Annual+Monitor%22+%22Hartley%22

No Habbett, but also some Abbott and Abbatt too.

My Gt. Grandfather married an Abbott and I very very vaguely seem to recall someone saying some of her family were Quakers.

If you get the year, you can usually find a free download edition (google books / internet archive archive.org or the official 'Open Library', or main University).

Don't be fooled by a location, because when their spouse died, they sometimes moved to another Meeting and very occasionally another country. A few Females were Ministers too.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Tried to copy the link, so copied part.

William Pickles Hartley (1846 – 1922) was born in Colne, Lancashire,  the only surviving son of a locksmith. He left school aged fourteen, and joined his mother’s small grocery venture. Within two years he was running the business, which soon grew to become one of the largest wholesale grocers in Lancashire.

Got it ...
http://letslookagain.com/2015/02/sweet-success-a-history-of-hartleys-jam/

We are not Methodists (don't know about my ancestors) but it was an ingrained family tradition in our house to only ever, have Hartley's Jam !

Hartley was a Primitive Methodist ...
http://www.myprimitivemethodists.org.uk/page_id__714.aspx

These are possible reasons for not finding or having difficulty finding records of our ancestors.

I'm discovering that some of these faiths were interlinked, e.g. a Quaker would go and teach at the Wesleyan School, etc.

One Slogan
Hartley Abbott's Oatmeal is the perfection of food

Famous for porridge oats with their base at Cardiff, Wales, Great Britain up to November 1896 as ...

November 1896
Partnerships Dissolved.
Robert Hartley and J. G. E. Abbott, trading as Hartley, Abbott, and Co., at Paradise place, Cardiff, merchants.

Also Hartley Abbott and Co.

Somewhere I have the porridge brand name noted, I'll try and find it.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bram and All

Further to my posts above, found a newspaper reference for Joseph Abbott, not sure if it is helpful or not, but ...

Newcastle Guardian 29 August 1846

At St Mary's Church, Gateshead ... Joseph Abbott only son of William Hymers, Esq. of Gateshead, to Miss Pollock, only daughter of Ald. Pollock, of the same borough.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Lincolnshire Chronicle 12 April 1850

At Hobart Town, Van Dieman's Land, on the 7th November last, on board Her Majesty's ship "Anson," (by the Rev. John Egglestone,) Mr. Thomas Abbott, eldest son of Mr. Abbott, of Mumby, in this county, to Martha second daughter of Mr. Holdich, of Penley's Grove street, York.

One Thomas Abbott in the Navy?

Regards Mark