Author Topic: Where is this? #19 Street Scene  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this? #19 Street Scene
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 14 January 17 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Giggsy, I think you are right about the cart being on the wrong side because he is driving around the barrow.

This could just be wishful thinking, but is there something written over the larger door of the smithy, just beyond the cone?
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 14 January 17 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Does this help?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 14 January 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I think you are so close. The Eight Bells, Bolney on the 1909 map looks like the right footprint. However, the OP's pic. shows what is probably a 15th Century building. Half timbered, even an A frame. Perhaps it was still there in 1909. That would mean the houses to the left and the smithy were demolished, and why the smithy was on the other side of the road. I think the modern Eight Bells is a different building.

OP's pic. could be as early as 1860's or even 1850's. In searching Google images I found other pics. from Surrey street scenes with working men in same clothes, paling fences, popular here and in the U.S. in the 1850's and 1860's. One was dated 1854.

See this, it's a dead ringer for the houses and smithy in the original pic. but is from Leigh, Reigate.

http://surrey.muddystilettos.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2016/01/7Stars_f29-720x478.jpg.

The add-on being the smithy.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 14 January 17 16:05 GMT (UK) »
I've just played around a bit with sharpening, contrast etc, and going back to the original orientation, am I imagining it, or might there the sign above the door say something like Eagle Inn? (In which case, was the smithy part of the same establishment?)

Regorian posted while I was writing, and that picture of Leigh does look very similar. The only thing I would say is that the pitch of the roof might be slightly different....

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 14 January 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
That pic. you posted, Carol, is marvellous. There's so much to see. For instance, the man on the right appears to be wearing clogs. It looks like yours has the right orientation, so the original needs flipping or whatever the term is.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 14 January 17 16:30 GMT (UK) »
See this, it's a dead ringer for the houses and smithy in the original pic. but is from Leigh, Reigate.

http://surrey.muddystilettos.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2016/01/7Stars_f29-720x478.jpg.

The add-on being the smithy. 

Like I said before, it's a pretty good likeness, but I've just found a map of Leigh and the road layout doesn't match. The pub there (= our cottages and smithy?) is set well back from the road, and it's by a junction which just isn't there in our photo:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=17&lat=51.2105&lon=-0.2574&layers=171&right=BingHyb

Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 14 January 17 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Quite so Arthurk, I checked the maps which precluded The Seven Stars from being what you are looking for.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 21 January 17 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for not replying sooner, have been feeling rotten with this ubiquitous hacking cough. Thank you Carol for flipping the photo - is the consensus that this is the correct way around?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 21 January 17 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for not replying sooner, have been feeling rotten with this ubiquitous hacking cough. Thank you Carol for flipping the photo - is the consensus that this is the correct way around?
Not sure we've had much consensus - I was hoping someone might be able to comment on my query about the cart:

Possibly more useful is the position of the driver of the cart/carriage, well over to one side. Does anyone know if there was a convention to sit on either the left or right?

Arthur