Author Topic: Help of locals to identify place, scenery, location photos, please.  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Help of locals to identify place, scenery, location photos, please.
« Reply #36 on: Monday 14 November 16 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Removed...typed, gone away, came back, didn't notice it had been found  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Could the one of the moors be the Forest of Bowland, Lancashire?
http://www.landscapesforlife.org.uk/forest-of-bowland-aonb.html

Sorry, I can't find a better picture...I'll keep looking!

djm297

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if some or all of the remaining pictures might be in the Lake District:

33a - could it be one of the passes, eg Wrynose, Hard Knott or Honister? (There's also Kirkstone, but the road over there is more of a main road - though it would undoubtedly have been less well made when the photo was taken.)

33b - this one has me beaten, though thinking back to pictures of floods in Cockermouth, with a river at the back of the main street (if I remember correctly).....?

33c - is the item on the right part of some kind of pleasure steamer?

33d - Yorkshire has been suggested (for some/most of this batch), but Yorkshire cottages are often just plain stone. My memory from many years back is that rendering is more common in the Lake District - but I'm sure both areas have examples of both.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 17 November 16 06:33 GMT (UK) »
http://www.bowlandwalks.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/trough-of-bowland/trough-of-bowland-2.jpg

Hi! A better picture of The Trough of Bowland, Lancashire, which I think is the picture of the moors.

djm297

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 18 November 16 19:20 GMT (UK) »
It seems like everyone has lost interest in the remaining pictures here, including the OP (who hasn't added anything since St Anne's was identified). Anyway, just in case anyone is still following this thread, I thought I'd add a bit of evidence for my Lake District passes idea:

I'm wondering if some or all of the remaining pictures might be in the Lake District:

33a - could it be one of the passes, eg Wrynose, Hard Knott or Honister? (There's also Kirkstone, but the road over there is more of a main road - though it would undoubtedly have been less well made when the photo was taken.)

Wrynose Pass: http://www.visitcumbria.com/amb/wrynose-pass/#gallery/043b3400ebac986e76d1dda782b21ae6/142

Hardknott Pass: http://www.visitcumbria.com/wc/hardknott-pass/#gallery/1311088bb2df57575fb010793b9fafc7/2363

Honister Pass: http://www.visitcumbria.com/cm/honister-pass/#gallery/53e717b90b7095859fa8b6512219a970/314

And another one to add to the list - Newlands Pass: http://www.visitcumbria.com/cm/newlands-pass/#gallery/3406a0a08e2eaa258f05f0f54cf21a3d/306

I probably visited most of these around 40 years or more ago, but can't say one way or another if the picture here is one of them. I'm also not particularly inclined to do a lot of digging at present, but if anyone else wants to, these might help them on their way.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 18 November 16 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it's any of those Arthur.  I wondered about them the other day but thought "No".

I must confess I didn't consider Newlands - which ironically was where my avatar was taken - but it doesn't look right on StreetView.  :-\
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 18 November 16 22:50 GMT (UK) »
It's not the Lake District - much more likely to be the Pennines.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 20 November 16 07:41 GMT (UK) »
It reminds me of many of the Highland passes - e.g Rest and be Thankful or even some parts of Glencoe.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***