Author Topic: Lincolnshire Knott family, Franklin link  (Read 3212 times)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lincolnshire Knott family, Franklin link
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 November 16 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Further to my previous post, I think Alan Knott appears with his family on the Electoral Register but, as I mentioned, details can't be posted.

David

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 November 16 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Patricia,
Look for the marriage I suggested on free bmd in Scunthorpe.
Then look for 2 children using the 2 surnames.

As Alan Knott is a fairly common name, look for his wife or children on 192.com (or similar) and do not assume they are still in the same area.

Offline Patricia Allenby (Andrew)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 November 16 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the advice.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 21 November 16 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Please remove their names as they are living people.

Offline Patricia Allenby (Andrew)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 09:51 GMT (UK) »
My friend informed me today she has an Alan Knott that drinks in her pub! So looking into that!

Offline Robert Kemp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 21 January 17 17:51 GMT (UK) »
My father appears to have a strong DNA link to someone called Franklin in Canada. This person claims his ancestry back to Richard Franklin (born March 18, 1832) in Barrow on Humber, but there is nothing on findmypast.com. Apparently he married an Mary Ann Turner in Ontario.

My father is from the Hull area and his Kemp line comes from near Spilsby in Lincolnshire.

It's all a bit of a mess. The link is quite strong, a 4th-6th cousin marked as High Confidence by Ancestry.

Unfortunately Franklin is also quite a common name in the Spilsby area. And, to make matters more complicated, my great great grandfather Kemp - who was from Spilsby - married a woman called Turner.

So the link could be via any of these routes, and the names are quite common.

I'm confident of the Kemp male line back to Spilsby as we have DNA links relatives in the US via Spilsby Kemps.

So I'm trying to figure whether the Franklins of Barrow on Humber entered my father's line through his mother's family - which is Rhodes and Owen. One of the Owens, a James Owen, lived in Clee in 1851. He was a master mariner. He married a lady called Morris.

Regards Robert Kemp

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 22 January 17 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Robert, Welcome to Rootschat. You need to remove your E mail address, as this is not allowed.
 The only way to be sure of your family line is to research it and follow it backwards, sadly there are no shortcuts via DNA or other people's tree's. Yes use them as a hint but not as fact, the birth date most of the online tree's has for Richard Franklin, 18th March 1832, has no source attached. Looking at the baptism register for Barrow in 1832 , yes there is one baptism on this date but for a girl called Hannah Bell.
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=514347&iid=37809

A 4th or 6th cousin means you share quite distant great grandfathers, so not close at all really.
If you need any help with your tree, there are lots on here who are more than willing to assist. Forget the DNA for the moment- get some facts under your belt and see where you go from there  ;)

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley