Author Topic: Millenium File  (Read 2179 times)

Offline haddockinthekitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Millenium File
« on: Monday 14 November 16 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I have come across the MILLENNIUM FILE on Ancestry......I have read the blurb written about it  but again I want to know how it is viewed with regards to its authenticity.
Again.....can original data be viewed (as ever only text copied over from the transcript and no original can be seen)?
As I am now in the 1500's things are a lot different to looking in the later centuries, and for some reason, I keep having a dream about Geoffrey on Monmouth and his writings of pseudo history....that might sound crazy, but I really am trying to get the facts straight, and seeing page after page of transcript makes "the folks" seem very distant and rather unreal....seeing is believing I guess, and just because this has a swanky name, I want some reassurance.
I don't want to seem flippant as I can see it was created by the Institute of Family Research, but then again, it's the first time I have heard of them...this is all such a huge learning curve, so any input would be much appreciated.
And yes...I have found someone on there born in 1499, which takes me back into another century.
As ever, thanks in advance.
h
Walls of Kenn. Flamank of Boscarne, Courtenay, Aurelius.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Millenium File
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 16 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Try googling it and reading what the BBC magazine has to say about it,  fantasy land is one persons opinion.

Mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 16 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Try googling it and reading what the BBC magazine has to say about it,  fantasy land is one persons opinion.

Mike

Is the BBC magazine "Who do you think you are"? If not, which magazine are you talking about?
I am googling it, and reading through what I am finding - looking for input based on experiences here too.
Thanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 16 23:49 GMT (UK) »
OK...Found it online now...very interesting comments!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 09:47 GMT (UK) »
It is user supplied information with no sources so view with extreme caution and verify all data you find there or don't use it.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 09:53 GMT (UK) »
It is user supplied information with no sources so view with extreme caution and verify all data you find there or don't use it.

Sandra
That's exactly how I would view it - as a guide only.....once you get the "hints" then the spade work has to be done to back this up.