Author Topic: Bare with me?????  (Read 1019 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Bare with me?????
« on: Thursday 17 November 16 17:02 GMT (UK) »
A bit of a moan...

After years of searching, I finally found a death cert for my 2x great grandmother Sarah Mitchell. She'd lived in W Yorks nearly all her life but skipped off to Sunderland to end her days!! Who knew!!  >:(

Anyway, I thought I'd look on the Probate Calendar on a certain FH website to which I subscribe to see if she just might have left a will. Imagine my frustration to find that the year in question - 1897 - and the initial letters K-M have just 3 pages (all surnames starting with K!!). The other years all seem to have hundreds of pages for that section, so, thinking this is obviously an error and needs reporting, I initiated an online chat (I hate them) with said website.

The (I assume, young) lady on the other end first asked me to 'bare with me' so I knew it was probably a complete waste of time. I resisted the urge to type back that I would politely decline to bare with her as I hadn't yet switched the central heating on - but I suspect the humour would have sailed over her head.

Despite me going on to point out that it was probably an error when the pages were microfilmed and therefore should be put right, she merely pointed out that all updates came out on a Friday and that I should look out for them!! I gave up.

Three questions:
1. Where do they get these people from?
2. Is it just Sod's Law that the year my ancestor died had to be the one with the missing pages, and those pages had to be for initial letter M?
3. Does anyone have access to the Probate calendar on another website and could do me a look up (probably have to be a PM) (assuming the pages actually exist) ?

And relax....

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bare with me?????
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 16 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Try using the search on the UK Government website?
It's where Ancestry got their data?!

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Make sure you click the correct tab - "Wills and Probate 1858-1996".
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 16 17:19 GMT (UK) »
All the pages are there on Ancestry

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 November 16 17:35 GMT (UK) »
I think the expression update on Fridays is a bit of a giveaway as to which site has been used - personally I do not find the way it has presented the probate calendar very user friendly, its only advantage being that you can search for executors.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 November 16 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, KGarrad, I'd totally forgotten about that site. Unfortunately, no will! Hey ho!

Stan, it wasn't Ancestry - the culprit is another well known FH website as William has said. It does rather beg the question: if one can get it right, why can't the other? Or, at least agree to put it right instead of fobbing me off with someone obviously not trained for the job.

And I've got the heating on now.....  ::) ;D
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 November 16 17:46 GMT (UK) »
The expression is actually BEAR with me, not bare. But you did give me a laugh!  ;D

Cheers
Giggsy

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 November 16 18:02 GMT (UK) »
The expression is actually BEAR with me, not bare. But you did give me a laugh!  ;D

I thought the use of that incorrect spelling by the person at the other end of the online chat was part of Jill's complaint  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 November 16 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Just read it again. You are correct Jen and I shall now stand in the corner with a silly hat on!

Giggsy  ::)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 November 16 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Just read it again. You are correct Jen and I shall now stand in the corner with a silly hat on!

Giggsy  ::)

Just as long as you've got SOMETHING on, Giggsy!!!  ;D 8)
HELP!!!