Author Topic: Place of birth  (Read 1677 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Place of birth
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 November 16 19:45 GMT (UK) »
OK sorry to say but when you find someone as a nurse child on the census there is a high correlation of the alleged father that later appears on the childs marriage certificate to be false.

So what we know is that Bryan's father is John Fury supposedly born circa 1876 in Knighton Radnorshire, Wales. I cannot find John on all censuses so that is something to follow up it might give some clues.

John marries Susan Nicholas in 1895 when you get the name of Thomas Fury deceased. So you could look up all the Thomas Fury's (there are not many) who die 1875 to 1895 and find them on the census to see if they can be ruled out or in.

You could also look for a baptism of John Fury either in Radnorshire or in Ludlow as sometimes these name the real father.

In short it may be hard work but worth a try. Good luck
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Painterleo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 November 16 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou bery much for all the useful information,as you say its well worth pursuing some of the other avenues to try to pinpoint a little better.
Many thanks for the help.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 November 16 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Found John in 1891. He is recorded as John Fury Blakeway. He is still in the Blakeway household although the head of the house John has died and his widow Mary is now head of house. He is now shown as "son" although we know from the nurse child this is incorrect. It could be that an elder Blakeway daughter was his mother but at this stage that is just a guess. His place of birth is given as Knighton Radnorshire although it has been badly transcribed as something completely different
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Painterleo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 November 16 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou very much re about John fury,its still his father,Thomas im having trouble tracking down but going to keep plugging away.
Thank you

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 November 16 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou very much re about John fury,its still his father,Thomas im having trouble tracking down but going to keep plugging away.
Thank you

I think what David has said could be very true - there may not be a Thomas Fury. If that is the only time that his name appears with John, it could well be that it was made up to look respectable on the marriage certificate. This happened quite frequently.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 November 16 20:59 GMT (UK) »
There appear to be only two John Furys born in Wales around the right time - both in Brecknockshire.

FURY, JOHN       mother MCDONOGHUE 
1875  Sept  Quarter
BRECKNOCK 
Volume 11B  Page 107   

FURY, JOHN  PATRICK  mother   WILLIAMS     
1875  March Quarter 
BRECKNOCK 
Volume 11B  Page 105
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 November 16 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who was illegitimate (his father is named on the baptism record) - on his marriage certificate his father is given with the correct first name and his (the mothers) surname - this person clearly never existed.
Whether he deliberately misled them to appear more respectable I don't know - or whether they just asked for his father's first name, he said, correctly Thomas, and the person recording the marriage made the assumption about the surname - the profession was also correct

So it may well be Thomas SomethingotherthanFury - a farmer who is the father - where did John's mother work before his birth - if she worked on a farm I'd look to see if a Thomas is there

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 November 16 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Thinking laterally I decided to look to see if there were any Fury births in Ludlow around this time. Interestingly there is a birth and death for a Edwin Fury. Looking on the GRO index no mother's maiden name is given. The only way you are going to find out if there is anything on the birth certificate that may help you is if you buy it I am afraid.

Familysearch names the mother as Anne Furey (sic)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NXTZ-M6Y

Births Sep 1879   
Fury    Edwin        Ludlow    6a   579    

Deaths Dec 1879
Fury    Edwin    0    Ludlow    6a   387

There is a further birth in 1885 this time the mother's maiden name is given as Fury

Births Jun 1885 
Fury    Male        Ludlow    6a   562