Author Topic: Thomas Horatio Howarth  (Read 1796 times)

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Horatio Howarth
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 November 16 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The information was in my original reply:

Suspect he was the J H H, Unmarried, aged 25. Cattle Breeder born Manchester in the Kent County Jail at Maidstone on the 1871 census.  His age is transcribed as 35 on an*try and 25 on another.  Far better image on the one transcribed as aged 25  ;D  .  RG10/945 Folio 103 page 3.

Nice find emeltom.  That looks like the man.   ::) ;D ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 November 16 18:41 GMT (UK) »
When I eventually found the 1871 Census entry the only thing it had going for it was the fact that the guy was born in Manchester. The age is wrong - it definitely sats 35 so is ten years out and in all the info I have seen on Thomas he has never been noted as being a Cattle Breeder. Only one of the prison records has an occupation and that was Wine Merchant. I'm not so sure that J H H is Thomas Horatio Howarth.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 November 16 19:03 GMT (UK) »
It`s definitely a 25.  Unfortunately the line going through it makes it appear as a three.  Even on the unclear image you can still see the loop of the 2.

Mo

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 November 16 19:30 GMT (UK) »
OK but I'm still not 100% sure it's Thomas Horatio.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 November 16 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.

Regarding the 1871 census, it is known from court documents that he served 18 mths in the Maidstone prison following his trial June 1,1870 so there has to be a record of him in the Maidstone Gaol in the 1871 census. The record you gave for a JHH must be him if there is no TH or THH in the census. The JHH birth date of 1846 and place of Manchester matches THH but he was definitely never a cattle breeder. He is given in newspaper accounts as a labourer and formerly an oil refiner and soap maker in Liverpool before going bankrupt and serving time in the Maidstone Goal on a fraud charge in 1868. The criminal register for his 1870 fraud conviction refers to both charges and gave his 1870 conviction as his second conviction on the same type of charge. Im satisfied that he was in the Maidstone prison at the time of the 1871 census despite the discrepencies in occupation.

Thanks Emelton for your comments regarding a C. Oscar de Courcy. I will look into that lead and see if its the same De Courcy/ Howarth chap doing frauds in Eastbourne and then T. Wells in 1870. As before Emelton it is always preferable if you give me a link or the article itself rather that your summary as I prefer to read the full article. Can you do this for me please.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 November 16 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I looked through all the prisoners to see if there was a similar one - zilch.  JHH was the nearest.  There was a W M and a J R who were also born Manchester.

Mo

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 November 16 11:06 GMT (UK) »
The newspaper article came from the same site I told you about  when I messaged you.

Emeltom

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 November 16 11:11 GMT (UK) »
 Ok but Im not a subscriber. I only subscribe to Ancestry Uk and apart from that I have to rely on what I find from a Google search. Can you at least give me the name of the newspaper and the date of publication so I can search for the article or order it from the library. Without that I have no way of viewing the article.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 November 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
The names of the newspapers and the date are in Post #8

Emeltom