Author Topic: Tighphealie  (Read 3802 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tighphealie
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 November 16 11:27 GMT (UK) »
A pub would be Tigh Osda or Tigh Lianna, a possibility is Tigh Fail a turf house,  mebbes that's why it no longer exists?

Skoosh.

Thank you Skoosh.  :)

Offline suzynoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:00 GMT (UK) »
My first reply from heritage@hbnet

Thank you for your e mail regarding your ancestors on the Black Isle.  I’ll pass your query on to another who might know, but Knockbain was a small place just up from Munlochy in the Black Isle and the present church in Munlochy is called the Knockbain Church of Scotland so I suspect the area you’re looking for would be around this area.  You should be able to find Munlochy on the map of the Black Isle.  However, since we are going back a bit, there might well have been a church in Knockbain itself.
As mentioned , I’ll pass this on.

Logan Family's of the Black Isle

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Was the reply from Highland Council?

Meanwhile you may wish to browse this which has Maps etc;

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ixm/

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline suzynoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 01:00 GMT (UK) »
This was signed Magdalene McLean....heritage@hbnet
I sent 2 emails, Highland Council and Farming Avochs Heritage so I assume this  is from Farming Avochs Heritage.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,

Wasn't sure if it was a dept. within the council.

Have you seen this?

http://www.jackclan.com/articles/articles/articles/rp.html

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Having been in touch with gaelic speakers with a few different thoughts/ideas, there is a question as to what may have been heard when 'Tighphealie' was written?

Having read a few things myself including reading over the document several times and with the help I've had in trying to determine what/where it was, this is what I now wonder;

Could Cill Fhannaidh (Killen) been what was actually mentioned?

Killen is mentioned a lot on the document & mentions it's a Farm on the estate of Rosehaugh, Avoch.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how much info. you have from originals on SP which tie in with these but worth contemplating if you haven't already got them?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ixp/

Annie

Offline suzynoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie had a good look at your links, have seen the Jack website before but had a much more serious look this time. The page with references to Tighphealie that I posted before comes from a book - The Logans of Ross & Cromarty (Cynthia Rae Huffman Sweet) - my Logan family is listed as an unconnected family in it but the interesting thing is the spelling of another place in Knockbain Parish. Ten Acres, Tenacres, Tighnacre. All are indexed under Tighnacres. The use of Tighn and Ten might be relevant do you think?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes Suzy,

Gaelic is a very fickle language & back then most were probably monolingual (only gaelic spoken) as well as illiterate & no formal spellings so there is much room for misinterpretations/mispronunciations i.e. a good open mind is needed.

I have a little knowledge of gaelic language (present day) which gets me by for what I need most of the time  ;)

An example in English, the name John or a street named High Street.
In other words, I'm familiar with certain names in Gaelic which crop up a lot although I do have to put my thinking cap on a lot too.

In your Tighnacres/Tenacres etc. it could be dialect differences with a possible mistranscription from Gaelic to English?
I can't answer your question as I have no idea where the writer of the book found their info.
It may have been the person had 10 Acres of land which was written, Joe Bloggs (Ten acres) which was only a note of his land rather than a place name which then was given the name Tighnacres?
The number 10 in Gaelic is 'deich" pronounced Jaich...'ch' NOT 'ck', same as Loch NOT Lock  ;D
All I can tell you is that spellings changed over the years to become what they are known as today just as surnames did.

I'm very surprised there's no connection with your family Jack to the one's in the link.

It's possible though (thanks to Ruskie (Rootschatter) for changing my mind on DNA tests) that you could prove or disprove this by DNA now.

Annie