Author Topic: Tighphealie  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Tighphealie
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 23:13 GMT (UK) »
From another Gaelic speaker,

This makes a lot of sense & very plausible...

"I have looked at the original document which has Tighphealie twice, Tighpealie once and Tighwealie once - such are the vagaries of scribes. Could it be the same place as Artafaillie? i.e. lose the first syllable. Prof. Watson explains it as 'high land of the place of sods' It has the advantage of being in Killearnan parish. Knockbain is the next parish going eastwards, followed by Avoch but the going is easy in the Black Isle so mobility would be more frequent than in higher and rougher areas"

Image from a book;
Place Names of Ross & Cromarty by Prof. Watson

Annie

Added, Forgot to say this is a prime example of spellings varying in days gone by.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline suzynoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Im sure my "Jack" family is linked to this Jack Clan just that my Janet Jack isnt listed there. The same area, church and burial ground......... I just havent done any research on the "Jack" name yet. Just as my Logan family arent yet linked to the Logans of Ross & Cromarty - Im possitive they would be just not enough research yet. My branch of the Logans came to Australia in 1865 and the other branch to Canada. Must have been horrendous times for breaking up of families. My brother went to Scotland 3 years ago and connected with some Logans living ar Munlocky. They didnt know much about our Logans and we didnt know about Tighphealie back then. Anyway, my brother wants to show me the places he discovered hence the big trip to Scotland next May/June and the search for Tighphealie  haha!
Logan Family's of the Black Isle

Offline suzynoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 02:44 GMT (UK) »
An email I have just received from K Jack
Hi,
I have not heard of Tighphealie only Arpafeelie which is in a similar area but many crofts were joined to make larger farm units and the names dropped out of use. I suggest you contact Highland Archives, Bught Park, Inverness Tel. 01463 256444 as they may have old maps.
Kath MacLeman

Offline suzynoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes I think the vagaries of scribes does make a lot of sense and is very plausible.