Author Topic: Coincidences in names and using logic  (Read 3228 times)

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Coincidences in names and using logic
« on: Wednesday 23 November 16 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Recently while searching my family tree I came across what seemed to be a dead end. I know My Great Grandmothers name was Annie Foley. Her son was named Thomas after her father (I presume).

I couldn't seem to come across Thomas Foley's (Annie's Father) parents until something came up in one of the other sites. There was a Thomas Foley born 1859 near Enniscorthy in Wexford which puts him in the right place and around the right date of birth.

This is where the logic or coincidence comes in. Thomas Foley's father was named Canice Foley. Annie Foley named her Son (my Grandfather) Thomas Canice. Should I assume that I have the right Parents for Thomas Foley using this logic. That maybe he was named Thomas after his Grandfather and Canice after his Great Grandfather.

Here is another question about coincidence. There are 6 children born between 1857 and 1871 to the parents Canice Foley and Dora (Dorothy) Lacy. 4 of those children were born in Wexford and 2 in Waterford. Is it likely that the parents of the 2 children born in Waterford are the same people originally from Wexford?

Next there is the Death of a Dora (Dorothy) Foley in Kilkenny and the informant of that death is again Canice Foley.

Finally there is the Death of Canice Foley in Dublin South and the informant is Thomas Foley.

Would it be safe to say that all these people are the same people and they may have travelled maybe due to employment?

If the names were John and Mary I would say they would be completely different people. But, Canice and Dora are not common names and the chances of 3 couples named Canice Foley and Dora Lacy must be extremely rare.
Moore, Kiernan, O' Sullivan, O' Connor
Other names I know of are:
O' Shea, O' Leary, Guilfoyle (Kilfoyle), Davis, Barrett, O' Neil, McKenna, Donlon, Flanagan, Lynn and McLoughlan

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coincidences in names and using logic
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 22:33 GMT (UK) »
If that was me I would certainly be making a pencil copy somewhere. They sound good but I would use this as the basis to dig deeper.

This is why its a good idea to dig deeper into the lives of the people you do have as confirmed. You will find clues in the churches they visited, other people in the area, local bigwigs , celebrities of the time etc etc etc.

I had 2 people from one family , boy and girl , given the middle name of a Wesleyan preacher. It stumped me for a long time. But once I dug a little deeper it cracked open and confirmed a possible into a definite.

Good luck
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 November 16 00:23 GMT (UK) »

Finally there is the Death of Canice Foley in Dublin South and the informant is Thomas Foley.

Canice Foley's death
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1897/05857/4659830.pdf
Does merchant fit with what you know about him?
His son Thomas Francis in 1911 was born Wexford so looks good. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Pembroke_East/Park_Avenue/43690/
And in 1901 a brother and sister with him both born Wexford.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Pembroke_East___Donnybrook/Park_Avenue__Part_of_/1285590/

There is another Foley using the name Canice in Kilkenny
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kilkenny/Kilcullihan/Abbeylands/534535/
He gives his father as Thomas on his marriage
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1906/10129/5685570.pdf

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I just discovered the last reply to my thread. Thank you for your input. It does look like these are the right people. There is only one thing throwing me off; The census records say Thomas Francis Foley is Not Married and Single in 1901 and 1911 respectively. Thomas Francis Foley was Married with children at this point and his wife was still living. I must look into this further. Thank you for you help though it makes a big difference.

However going through my records I have a Thomas Foley living in Wexford in 1901 and 1911.

I think it is a massive coincidence that the witness to Dora Foley's death in Kilkenny was Canice Foley. What are the chances that there would be two Canice and Dora Foley's around at the same time?
O' Shea, O' Leary, Guilfoyle (Kilfoyle), Davis, Barrett, O' Neil, McKenna, Donlon, Flanagan, Lynn and McLoughlan

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Recently while searching my family tree I came across what seemed to be a dead end. I know My Great Grandmothers name was Annie Foley. Her son was named Thomas after her father (I presume).
You need to find her marriage, presuming and assuming will tie you in knots and you'll never be sure of anything.
Did she marry in Ireland and to who?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Also comparing signatures on documents may help?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I have found a Death Record for Canice Foley dated 29th August 1897 in Dublin South.
I have found a Grave in Kilkenny with the inscription "Canice Foley died 29th August 1897".
I think it is almost safe to say that is the same person that died in Dublin.

Also on that Grave is the inscription "Dora Foley died 14th November 1877"
So it is almost safe to say again that Canice and Dora were husband and wife.

What are the chances of there being more than one couple with the names Canice and Dora?

Canice and Dora also had two daughters, there are two names on the grave inscription matching those daughters and the death records I found for them match the ages to the year they were born and died.

If I am right then Canice and Dora were married in Enniscorthy, at some point moved to Waterford and then ended up in Kilkenny. Possibly due to Canice being a Merchant he had to do trade in Dublin and probably spent a lot of time there especially after Dora passed away.

The only thing that doesn't match is T.F.Foley's signature and that of Thomas Foley in Wexford. However he may not have signed the record as that particular record was made at a later time.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 16:02 GMT (UK) »
But have you confirmed who Annie Foley's father was. It's pointless looking at Thomas Foley's family until you know for sure, she may have called her son Thomas Canice after one of his grandfathers.

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Annie Foley's Father was Thomas Foley. I have her birth and marriage certificates. I have a marriage record for Thomas Foley that says his father's name was Canice.

That makes sense because my Grandfather's name was Thomas Canice Moore (named after his grandfather and great grandfather)

The only children in Enniscorthy who's father was Canice Foley, their mother was called Dora (Dorothy) Lacy.