Author Topic: "Who Do You Think You Are" Series 13, Episode #1: Danny Dyer  (Read 23596 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: "Who Do You Think You Are" Series 13, Episode #1: Danny Dyer
« Reply #117 on: Monday 05 December 16 13:08 GMT (UK) »

What I'm saying is that there is a lower probability that someone in 1500 married a non-descendant of Edward III than 20000 / 4million

But it is not THAT much lower. Say, for argument's sake, as many as half those descendants classed themselves as nobility and never married outside their "class", and demanded that all their descendants did likewise. That leaves 10,000 to mix with the rest of society (of whom many had already done so).

So, it's now only a 35 to 1 chance that you are NOT descended from Edward III.

Statistics throws up some non-intuitive truths. For example, how many people do there have to be in a room for it to be more likely than not that two of them share the same birthday? The answer is just 23. If there are 70 people, the chances of a match of birthday are 99.9%. Statistics are not just a mathematical concept - bookmakers make a good living out of them.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 07:53 GMT (UK) »

Say, for argument's sake, as many as half those descendants classed themselves as nobility and never married outside their "class", and demanded that all their descendants did likewise.

Or suppose I pluck a different equally-random figure from thin air and say that half of the "non noble" subset only marry among themselves. That'll give a 50:50-ish chance of being a descendent. High probability, yes, but a difference similar to that of predicting the result of a coin toss at the start of a cricket match and that of there being a coin toss in the first place.

Stats work if the assumptions behind the calculations are reasonably valid. If they're not, they don't

Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 09:08 GMT (UK) »

Exactly. Allegedly my Titshall line harks back to a Lord of the manor of Herringfleet in Suffolk. Someone with the surname was Lord of the manor. Titshall is a rare surname as well. My Titshall's were millers in the 1700s, one was a churchwarden. So if they do descend from a lord then they would have slipped down the scale. I have ancestors who were landowners whose children ended up as yeomen or tenant farmers and whose grandchildren ended up as labourers.

Most Brits will descend from royalty whether we can prove it or not. And Danny Dyer is no less the working class person he is just because a very distant ancestor 22 generations back was King Edward III.

The problem for most of us is that the records run out. http://parishregister.net/history.htm
Your everyday commoner did not own any property, so would not leave a will or deeds for example. Parish register records run out at about 1550? if not sooner for most of our ancestors lines. That there might be a rich landowner nearby with the same name does not mean that they are related to our everyday yeoman, ag lab or weaver.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 10:37 GMT (UK) »

The problem for most of us is that the records run out. http://parishregister.net/history.htm
Your everyday commoner did not own any property, so would not leave a will or deeds for example. Parish register records run out at about 1550? if not sooner for most of our ancestors lines. That there might be a rich landowner nearby with the same name does not mean that they are related to our everyday yeoman, ag lab or weaver.

Well I descended from Edward I, not that I attach any importance to it. It's just that sometimes you manage to link into an existing pedigree.

TBH there is less fun in the parts of the tree that you have not found yourself
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 13:02 GMT (UK) »
TBH there is less fun in the parts of the tree that you have not found yourself

Never a truer word said :)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Very true - if only those name-collectors on Ancestry trees would grasp that! ;)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 20:29 GMT (UK) »
I didn't see the programme but I remember an episode from a previous series featuring a similar scenario with Matthew Pinsent, an Olympic rower. From what I remember of that, there was a scroll showing Royal descent back to God.
If Danny Dyer had followed the line backwards from Edward to William Conqueror and beyond, he would have found one of his ancestors was a tanner, since W. Conk's Ma was a tanner's daughter.
Cowban

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 14:04 GMT (UK) »
This so-called "Royalty" was descended from the bastard of a brigand & a tanner's daughter!

Skoosh.

Mentioned by Skoosh
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley