Author Topic: Cemetery near Doune  (Read 8795 times)

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery near Doune
« Reply #54 on: Monday 16 January 17 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Stewart b. 15 Feb. 1816 in Dunblane, christened 3 Mar. 1816.
Father = John Stewart
Mother= Ann Innes

Margaret married Andrew Laurie, 20 Feb. 1845 in Dunblane.
I do not know what their occupation history is - I may have a record some where.
It seems in 1856 they lived in Wales - Barron Hill I believe.
They appear to have had 5 children.

John Stewart and his family lived on a farm at Glastry, Kilbryde, which I believe is not far from where you live. Please confirm.
When John died 1858, James Gow and daughter Ann Stewart were operating the farm.

I will look thru' my information to see if there is more to add for Margaret Stewart.

Dave
Anderson, Stewart, Donaldson, Wright

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 23 January 17 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave
Managed to get out to Kilbryde today.

SACRED
            TO THE MEMORY OF
         JOHN STEWART GLASTRY
   WHO DIED 4TH NOVEMBER 1858 AGE 77
         ALSO ANNE INNES HIS WIFE
    WHO DIED 27TH MARCH 1860 AGED 80
     THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY THEIR THREE
                    DAUGHTERS
         JANET , MARGARET AND ANNE.
There was also another stone on right of this one.
            ERECTED BY
        JOHN STEWART
                AND
           ANNE INNES
            GLASTRY
     IN MEMORY OF THEIR SON
        ALEX ? STEWART
MINISTER OF THE GOSPEL
WHO DIED 13 ? JUNE 1847
   AGED 29? .
Stone was hard to read in some places.
Behind these stones was another but I could just make out the name which looked like another JOHN STEWART.
To the right of the first 2 stones are 2 stones to the INNES family with last burial I think 1958. The one to the right of that has the year 1774 on it.
There are still descendents of the INNES`s in Doune.

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 23 January 17 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I've looked for Glastry but can only find Nether Glastry and on an old map I found Upper Glastry but I think that is now a farm called Dalbrack.

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 23 January 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kenny:

The grave marker stones are referencing the correct persons of my ancestors.
John Stewart and Anne Innes are correct.
Alexander Stewart 09 Jan. 1818 - 13 June 1847 is correct.
Anne Inne's grandfather is Colin Innes 1703 - 16 Jan. 1772, so probably not the one you found.
I have not recorded sibblings for many of my ancestors, so do not have info on the 1774 date.

Did you take any photo's?

I have a record showing Ann Stewart = Ann Gow and James Gow being buried at Kilbryde Cemetery.
I am still wondering if William Anderson and Janet Stewart may be buried there also.
If you could help me on this, I appreciate it - no rush.

As for Glastry, nothing to follow up, but for clarification and interest:
1841 census has John Stewart as farmer at Old Glastry.
1851 census has John Stewart as farmer of 80 acres at Glastry.
From what I see, the farm was part of Kilbryde Castle land and John was a tennant.
However, I think John was fairly well off, as per his will.

James Gow and Ann Gow took over the farm, in 1858 or earlier.

1861 census has James Gow as farmer of 200 acres at Nether Glastry.
1871 census has James Gow as farmer of 242 acres at Lower Glastry.
Assume the same 200 acres involved, but maybe not.
1881 census has James Gow a butcher in Doune.
1891 census has James Gow as farmer at Wester Tarr, Port of Monteith.
1895 land owners record has James at this farm and his death record refers to the same location.

Now, back to the search for William Anderson and Janet Stewart Anderson:

John Stewart's will refers to property on Main Street (south side) in Doune which I think may have been adjacent to the Manse for the Free Church in Doune. John gave money in his will to help pay the debt on the church. He also lent money to the Minister, Rev. Donald Ferguson. So I am wondering if William and Janet were also associated with the Free Church and may be buried in the associated cemetery.
I would appreciate help on this theory also, and again no rush - as meaning next week, next month or next summer - well I would be anxious if I did not hear from you again until summer!

And if the descendants of Innes's in Doune are interested in helping I would be very excited to hear from them. Actually, even if they do not have an interest in helping me, I would like to send them a note of introduction and see what comes of it.

I really appreciate your assistance and I am confident we will eventually locate William and Janet.

Thanks again.
Dave

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 23 January 17 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave.
Unfortunately the cemetery at Kilbryde is small and not in great condition. A lot of the stones are either damaged or missing . But will try other sources .

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 20:09 GMT (UK) »
If the Free church manse is the one I'm thinking of , it is now a private house called Byre Hill, which is a 30 second walk from my house. It was Manse for East Church in Doune ( the one with the graveyard). My parents were married in the manse in 1942. Wester Tarr farm I think I know. I used to go with a girl who lived in Lower Tarr farm.
Likely that Gows May be buried in Thornhill ,parish of Norrieston .

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenny:

I do not know where I got the term Manse from - I am thinking maybe the Valuation Rolls, which I no longer have access to.

Any way, the property in Doune belonging to John Stewart is complicated as described in his will and I believe a summary is:

- Dwelling house in the Mains of Doune on the south side of the street, given to John Stewart by John Henderson, who some how fits in to our family tree;
- Bounded on the west by the property of John King of Doune;
- Bounded in the south by a house rented to John Maxwell and William McLaren;
- Bounded on the east by a foot path or entry (I take this as meaning a legal right of way) to property belonging to Rev, Donald Ferguson, Rev. Thomas Hislop, John Murdock and Robert "Adair"? This property I have assumed to be the "manse"??
- There are others mentioned and I can not determine where they are in relation to John's house.

The will refers to Reverend Donald Ferguson, Minister of the Free Church of Scotland in Doune.
I have looked on Google Maps and can only guess where this building is.

Janet Anderson, John Stewart's daughter, is shown as living on Main Street, south side in several census'. I have always thought this was a different location than shown above, because I envision the building as having a store on the main floor and accommodation above. What I envision is similar to the present Buttercup Cafe with hotel rooms above. But as I try to decipher the will, I am wondering if the store was on the street and the accommodation was behind the store. This would mean Janet Anderson lived for years (1851 - 1891+) in property initially owned by her father.

Janet Anderson's  property, in at least one census, refers to "Main Street, South side, West end".
I get confused looking for this location on Google Maps - I should not be confused as I am an Engineer! - so  please help me. Would West end be toward the Cross I see in the middle of the intersection?

I hope this makes sense to you.

Thanks again,
Dave

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenny:

On Google Street View, I see a church, with no obvious name, between King Street and Moray Street and there appears to be a cemetery behind the church. Is this the old Free Church building?

Across the street is a building named "Doune Time"- looks like 45 - 47 Main Street.

Is this location close to your reference to the old manse now the Byre Hill building?
Can you give me an address for Byre Hill house?

Trying to get a picture, in my mind, as to where the location of John Stewart's property may have been. Am I any where close?

Dave

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 27 January 17 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is the church Dave.
Main street starts from the cross and runs east through village ( main road to Dunblane A820) Byre Hill is on junctions of Queen Street and Main Street near to Castle road. I have pics of gravestones and can send to you if I can figure out how lol.
I work for Stirling Council Roads Maintenance Service and just been up past Kilbryde today. I think the reason I couldn't find Glastry is because it is now 2 private houses.