Author Topic: Coroner's or newspaper report  (Read 1046 times)

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coroner's or newspaper report
« on: Monday 28 November 16 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

The death certificate for my grandfather Wilfred NEAL (who collapsed and died near his home in Birdwell Yorkshire after coming home from Barnsley Market) states that he died on 9 Dec 1939 of "sudden heart failure the cause of which is not shewn by the evidence".  The certificate also notes that a report was received from the Deputy Coroner of the West Riding, SHB Gill, of an inquest held on 18 December 1939.

I wonder if anyone could give me some idea about whethr it would be possible to find the Coroner's report online?  I'd also appreciate any assistance in finding any contemporary newspaper reports of the event.
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Coroner's or newspaper report
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:03 GMT (UK) »
I recently wrote to the Coroner for Worcestershire seeking information about my great grandmother who was the subject of an inquest.  I knew from her death certificate that there had been an inquest and I had also seen two newspaper reports of her death.  The reply I received said that "Coroner's records are sometimes available to family members of the deceased, however The Freedom of Information Act does not provide an entitlement to this information."  "Records, where available only have to be maintained for a period of 15 years, although sometimes they are kept for longer."

Newspaper reports of the time that the event happened are usually a good source of information.  Libraries and record offices local to Birdwell, Yorkshire may well hold information. 

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ScobieDrom.  The local record offices are a bit of a trip from Australia, unfortunately. :(

Would the local newspaper most likely to report such an event be the Barnsley Chronicle?
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:23 GMT (UK) »
In the first instance try Barnsley Archives and Discovery Centre:  Archives@barnsley.gov.uk

If you detail your request I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I'll give them a try.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 02:14 GMT (UK) »
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Unfortunately they don't seen to have the Chronicle for that period.

Offline TheIrishDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 March 22 22:13 BST (UK) »
hi how did you seem to get on with mr Gills records ? he also did the inquest in my grandfathers death and i would love to view his inquest records.

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 March 22 23:37 BST (UK) »
No luck I'm afraid.  Life got in the way of further digging.