Author Topic: Morland Family - Fulham area 1820s  (Read 6009 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Morland Family - Fulham area 1820s
« Reply #36 on: Monday 07 August 17 16:23 BST (UK) »
Croz

This forum is privately owned and the moderating and copyright teams must ensure that breaches of copyright do not take place.

Please take a moment to read our copyright policy which is at the bottom of every Rootschat page in the brown area.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php

The transcription and layout you copied belong to Family Search.

The copyright symbol is clearly displayed at the bottom of Family Search Pages.

Please understand and adhere to the policies here.

Thank you

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 07 August 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
OK understood....no intention on my part to break any rules and I appreciate very much the help, advice and guidance which this excellent forum offers. I was simply responding to the suggestion I had cut and pasted from a subscription database or website. I looked to see if there were any copyright references on FamilySearch before I responded but confess I didn't see them. I will be more diligent in future.
Thanks  for putting me straight.

Morland family - Westmorland, Kent (Court Lodge), Soho (London) , Fulham/Parsons Green (Middlesex).
Limpus family - Fulham/Putney (Middlesex) - Ragless and Penfold families (West Sussex)

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 07 August 17 18:06 BST (UK) »
Lily M.........Once again...thank you very much for going to the trouble of looking this up. A new puzzle, I think....carpenter could have connections with upholstery ......but no mention of sailor or mariner. Gent sounds so much better doesn't it 😉. How does a gent become a (humble ?) carpenter in 3 years....and why is he recorded 3 times elsewhere as a mariner.....

No reason to doubt that this is the correct Ann Selina Morland, later wife of John Limpus and sister of Margaret Elizabeth......but the story about being disowned by the family now sounds increasingly implausible.....

I think my head is starting to hurt 🤕

Morland family - Westmorland, Kent (Court Lodge), Soho (London) , Fulham/Parsons Green (Middlesex).
Limpus family - Fulham/Putney (Middlesex) - Ragless and Penfold families (West Sussex)

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
Do you have the death certificate for the John Morland who died 1845?  I wonder who the informant was, and what occupation they gave him.

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
I don't, but the same thought occurred to me yesterday...I should get a copy.
I keep running through the sequence..

1775 born
1817...."gent"
1820... "carpenter"
1822....."carpenter"
1841 ..."upholsterer"
1843..."sailor"
1844..."mariner"
1845 died

And I can't make much sense of it after 1841 (and even in 1841 he seems to be living in a different household to his wife...)

Rather than John "disowning" his daughter Ann Selina around the time of her 1843 marriage...I wonder if it was the other way around...and she disowned him for some reason...I guess we will never know !

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
A link to one of my other posts on the Morland subject  just for interest -  includes a photo of what I have always believed to be a marble relief/cameo sculpture one of the John Morlands ... more likely the 1739-99 Soho cabinet maker.......or maybe that's just another story ... it certainly came to me via Ann Selina's granddaughter ( my own grandmother ).

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=565628.msg4180469#msg4180469

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 11 August 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
What a lovely thing to have!   But you've thrown up another conundrum.

Why would the inscription be etched onto the inside of the backing?  I can see what the words say, but what do they all mean?

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 12 August 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
Who knows....??? The etched letters and words may simply be the work of mischievous children many years ago...the backwards lettering in "Limpus" has always looked suspicious but we will never know.....every time I put the old chap away I wish he could speak to me....😉

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 12 August 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
I know, at that time, wearing the latest fashions wasn't restricted to the young, but I still feel that John Morland senior may have been too old in the 1790s to be wearing such an up-to-the-minute style.  My guess would be J.M. junior around 1825.

All my theories for J.M. being described as a Mariner are convoluted and, therefore, probably unlikely.  But becoming a Mariner at the age of 67 is also unlikely.

I thought, maybe, for whatever reason, J.M. went away from the family home for some time.  An easy way to explain this to the children was to say he had gone off to sea.   Maybe they belived he had retired by the 1841 census.  John, reluctant to go along with this, has put his proper occupation on the census form.   A disagreement between him and Sarah could explain the seperate households.

Yes, I know it's a long stretch.

If you decide to spash out on a death certificate, please come back and let us know what it says.