Author Topic: Harry Dean, Hockley, Birmingham  (Read 5245 times)

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Harry Dean, Hockley, Birmingham
« on: Thursday 01 December 16 17:21 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if there is anyone using this forum that has easy access to late 1800s baptismal records, please?
I am researching a Harry Dean, who was killed in action in WW1. 
So far I have unearthed very little information about him, apart from the address of an aunt, and the fact that he was born in Hockley, Birmingham.  Rather unhelpfully, the soldiers died and CWGC information doesn't give his age at death. I know that he enlisted quite early in WW1 long before conscription, so working on the principle that he was at the younger end of the scale.
What would be really great, would be if someone could check for a baptism for Harry Dean, in Hockley, probably between 1885 and 1899.  Hopefully that should cover it.  There are a couple of possible matches on Ancestry, but not enough information to tell if either was born in Hockley.  Please delete, if this is an inappropriate request, thank you  ;)
Haden, Edwards, Bradley, Lamb, Cooper, Pool, Hepton, Ellam, Wilbe, Taylor

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Dean, Hockley, Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 December 16 17:27 GMT (UK) »
1901 census has a surprising number of Harry Deans born in that era, in Birmingham area. None specifically Hockley.

And of course he could well have started out as a Henry.

What is the aunt's name? Can we find which one via her?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 16 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for such a prompt response, Lizdb.
Yes, I've searched the 1901 and 1911 and realise there are several to choose from!  Sadly all I have for the aunt is that she's a Mrs G Wiggins, living in Shoeburyness in 1920.
I've trawled Wiggins/Dean marriages without any joy, and tried a couple of the mother's maiden names for the likely candidates, with the same result. 
Hence my thoughts that the baptismal register would at least provide one, or maybe both parents names,which would b enough for me to get cracking!
Aunt doesn't seem to be around by 1939 - thought that might help me track back to Harry........

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 December 16 00:01 GMT (UK) »

Hi

There is this one.... not sure if he's right,but it seems to fit the bill.

Baptism Register
Hockley All Saints
Birmingham Warwickshire

Harold son of George Alfred and Minnie DEAN. Born 2nd August 1897. Baptised 18th August 1897. Father's Occupation Burnisher.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 December 16 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Mrs G Wiggins, according to etiquette, would be using her husbands initial

A George & Eliza Wiggins are at 6 Earth Pit Row, Shoebury circa 1920

Might not be your couple though
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 December 16 03:35 GMT (UK) »
This might seem a daft question, but are you sure he was from Hockley, Birmingham and not Hockley in Essex?

The reason I ask is that the George and Eliza Wiggins in Shoeburyness (as posted by dawnsh) are at that same address on last census and living with them is a Harry Dean 19 supposedly born Essex although I can't find him anyway.   Seems too much of a coincidence to not be the right couple.

George Wiggins married Eliza Joslin in 1897 (she was born Mar.1873 Rochford) but can't see any marriages between Dean/Joslin either.

There certainly were Dean's being born in Hockley, Essex at the relevant period hence my question.

However, Eliza Joslin is also an enigma in that she can't be found on any census before her marriage (when she married father named as John and a John Joslin and Charlotte Joslin witnessed it).   Her birthplace on census given as Great Wakering but can find no trace of her in earlier records there.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Dean, Hockley, Birmingham. Completed, thank you
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 December 16 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all, this is perfect!
Annette7, not a daft question at all - I thought the same.  Soldiers Died definitely says Hockley, Birmingham. ;)
Dawnsh, yes, convention would have put her husband's name in place of hers then -great to know they were still there at that time.
Karenlee, wonderful, I'm sure that'll be him! I can investigate with the family tree to confirm, but very confident with that.
Delighted with all of this help, thank you  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 December 16 08:17 GMT (UK) »

No worries hadenmaiden. I have been trying to place an Eliza marrying a WIGGINS with this family, but failing so far.  Hope that you have more luck.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 December 16 10:32 GMT (UK) »

However, Eliza Joslin is also an enigma in that she can't be found on any census before her marriage (when she married father named as John and a John Joslin and Charlotte Joslin witnessed it).   Her birthplace on census given as Great Wakering but can find no trace of her in earlier records there.

Annette

There is a likely looking Eliza Joslin with parents John and Charlotte in Braintree on the 1871 census  RG10; Piece: 1702; Folio: 41; Page: 19

For Eliza to be aunt, it is likely one of her siblings would be the parent of Harry Dean.  Therefore, siblings that we need to chase to confirm this is correct family are:
Arthur Joslin (b c. 1863)
Joseph Joslin (b. c. 1864)
Elizabeth Joslin (b. c. 1866)
Martha Joslin (b c. 1869)
Emma Joslin (b c. 1873)
James Joslin (b . 1877)
George Joslin (b. 1879)
William Joslin (b c. 1884)