Author Topic: Old Chapel Yard, Friargate, Preston  (Read 4091 times)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Old Chapel Yard, Friargate, Preston
« on: Saturday 03 December 16 12:32 GMT (UK) »
I need help  finding out whether the old chapel in Old Chapel Yard (off Friargate in Preston) is still there. I know it was founded c. 1605 and abandoned in the 18th century. The actual name is Roman Catholic Church of St Mary.

Help is appreciated.

Beth
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Chapel Yard, Friargate, Preston
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 December 16 12:47 GMT (UK) »
From GenUKI:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Preston/StMaryFriargate

St Mary, Friargate, Preston
It was founded in 1605 and closed in 1992.

St. Marys was on an elevated site on the south side of Friargate brow. The only access was by a flight of steps in a small tunnel through a row of shops. The church was demolished in the 1990s and the site is now a car park. A small shrine at the end of the tunnel marks the location of the church porch.

The link above, has a photograph of the tunnel and shrine.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 December 16 12:48 GMT (UK) »
I was just going to post the same KGarrad.  :)

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Preston/StMaryFriargate

car park ... oh dear - so sad.

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 December 16 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, so sad that it's now a car park. I will have a look at the link, so far it has made a very interesting read.

Beth
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 December 16 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Two sketches of the church.  The first is the original 1605 and the second its 1761 replacement :
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01iza/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01izb/

Mo

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 December 16 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bethany. I have a book:  "Through Twenty Preston Guilds: The Catholic Congregation of St. Wilfred's Preston", published 1993. No author stated but it may have been Leo Warren . I got it this year in Preston.
It states "... Chapel then situated in a courtyard opposite the present Sun Hotel. This courtyard is known as Old Chapel Yard, off the western side off Friargate between Edward St. and Marsh Lane, formerly Bridge St."
  Chapter 3 has the heading "In a certain street called the Fryergate". That chapter is about the "new" Catholic chapel, opened 1761.
 Appendix includes: Friargate Chapel Subscriptions 1815.
                             The Parish Dead of WW1 & 2.
There are chapters on 19thC Preston's  R.C. schools. Also extracts from SVP & other church organisations' records.
Cowban

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 December 16 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I will see if I can find that book, seems to be an interesting read. Thanks for the replies.

Beth

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 December 16 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beth. Are you in England ? Lancashire County Libraries should have it. I think I bought my copy direct from St. Wilfred's Church in Preston.
Cowban

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 December 16 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I'm in Preston actually, I'm actually going near there Tuesday, so I'll have a look.

edit - I have looked on the website, they have it at the Harris Museum, so I'll go there Tuesday.