Author Topic: Margaret Smith death  (Read 4576 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Margaret Smith death
« on: Saturday 03 December 16 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Here is a fairly massive request....

Is it possible and is there anyone who has the time to check several Margaret Smith death records, in Sunderland, for me? I am tackling my elusive Smith family again and need to verify or eliminate my favourite theory once and for all.

There is a record of a marriage of William Smith and Margaret Young in 1850. In 1851, they are in Sunderland - he is a butcher, born Tynemouth. I have been totally convinced, for a long time that these were my great-grandfather's parents but today I received his birth certificate and it turns out that although I am right about William, the mother was Mary Ann Smith, née Smith!

I still believe that Margaret Young was William's first wife so am now looking for her death record, between 1851 (census) and 1856. There are several recorded in those years but unfortunately it was before ages were listed so I would need to send for all the certificates and that is beyond the reach of my purse!

So, if anyone has access to burial records, or any other way of checking, I am looking for a death of Margaret Smith, in Sunderland, age 19-26 ( she is 18 in 1851), wife of William Smith, Butcher.

I can give all the possible BMD registration references if that helps.

I'm probably asking the impossible but I do know there are some very clever Rootschatters out there so my fingers are firmly crossed.

Many thanks.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Smith death
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 December 16 13:40 GMT (UK) »
The new GRO Indexes search gives ages at death for nearly all deaths?
You have to register, but it's free!

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates-
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 December 16 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks....am off to do that immediately!

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 December 16 14:07 GMT (UK) »
You can also order a PDF of the certificates for £6.25 ;D

Searching isn't as good as FreeBMD.
But you do get mother's maiden name on births, and ages on deaths.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 December 16 14:09 GMT (UK) »
This is a bit odd (from one of your earlier threads)  :-\

not sure if you have the burial for margaret smith
cemetery registers sunderland location sunderland cemetery (stockton road)
margaret smith 16th june 1859 of flag lane age 24 wife of william smith (butcher)
found this  on dro
lynne

and it turns out that although I am right about William, the mother was Mary Ann Smith, née Smith

Have you found the William /Mary Ann marriage?

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 December 16 14:19 GMT (UK) »
I have seen this one and was previously convinced that it was the right one. But as my John Smith was born in 1856, with Mary Ann Smith named as his mother, I am forced to abandon her.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 December 16 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Marriages between William Smith and Mary Ann Smith - yep, there are several from which I could choose!

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 December 16 14:26 GMT (UK) »
You can also order a PDF of the certificates for £6.25 ;D

Searching isn't as good as FreeBMD.
But you do get mother's maiden name on births, and ages on deaths.

The trial for birth/death PDFs ended on 30th November.   :(  The cost was only £6.00.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 December 16 14:49 GMT (UK) »
As you can see, I am tearing my hair out and going round in circles with this one.

John Smith, my great grandfather, whose birth certificate is throwing up all these questions, is nowhere to be found between the registration of his birth and that of his marriage. I can't be sure of him in any censuses 1861/71/81. On his marriage certificate, he lies about his age and he continues to be vague about it on all subsequent records. On at least one record, his name changes to Matthew!!

The only reason we know that he was born in November 1856 is that it is recorded in a family bible.

At some point, John arrives in Middlesbrough, where he marries Harriet Knight in 1882. He names his father as William Smith, butcher, deceased.

My mother refused point blank to accept that John was born in Sunderland because he had a Yorkshire accent. This makes me think the family moved when he was a child but to where is anyone's guess.

The reason I was hooked on him being the son of the William Smith who was married to 18 year old Margaret in Sunderland 1851 is that the very same William is in Middlesbrough, widowed, in 1861.

I have no idea where to go next!