Author Topic: Lt. Col. Alexander Agar Agar - born 1909 died 1995. Who was he?  (Read 4951 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Lt. Col. Alexander Agar Agar - born 1909 died 1995. Who was he?
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Reginald Angelsmith dies in Dec qtr 1922 (Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire) and Agar Padley Agar dies in 1929 in Jersey.  I wonder if Lucy married Agar, or indeed what happened to Lucy?

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Struggling to see anything for Lucy, Spidermonkey, after 1922.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Lucy's birth was registered in Sep qtr 1874, so she certainly was a young infant when baptised. 

Reminds me of my g-g-grandmother who married a man twice her age as a pregnant 16-yr-old in the 1880s  :)

I know that it happened (and still does happen) , but I think this is one of the times when my safeguarding and child protection responsibilities as a teacher come to the forefront and override my family history viewpoint, if you know what I mean!  My response is to wonder why on earth there wasn't a huge outcry - but I have checked the newspapers and I can find absolutely nothing!!  Oh well, different times etc!

Outcry because she was pregnant, or because she was young?

The age of consent for a female in England was 14 when Lucy married in 1890, having historically been lower.  A girl of 15 or 16 was a minor, but a marriageable one.  Pregnancy obviously not great, especially if the father was an older clergyman, but pregnancy at marriage was not uncommon and she'd no doubt have been rushed up the aisle before she showed.

In my g-g-grandparents' case (in Nebraska) there is lots of evidence from letters and diaries that the couple were very much in love, though the bride's father would not allow a marriage before she turned 16.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 12:04 GMT (UK) »
You're right avm, I know you are, and I know it was acceptable then.

But hey!  At least I know that Agar, Lucy and Alexander spent Christmas at Cheltenham in 1925 (at the Ellenborough House Hotel).  Lucy and Alexander retain their Angelsmith surname at this point.  (Various newspapers, listing visitors to Cheltenham)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Mr A A Angelsmith attended a New Years party at Cheltenham Town Hall in aid of the Hospital 1926/27  so he hadn't changed his name at that point.  I wonder if the name change was after the death of Agar Padley, and something to do with inheritance?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 12:32 GMT (UK) »
A P Agar's widow Amelia Matilda Mary Agar died in Seaford, Sussex on 9 October 1931.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Unless I have missed something, we don't yet have the connection (if there is one) between Reginald Walter Angelsmith and Agar Padley Agar.

A few factors point to Agar, rather than Angelsmith, being Alexander's natural father.  The Agar middle name, the long gap since the Angelsmith children of the early 1890s, the marriage announcement saying that Alexander was grandson of Rev. Padley.

I've just reread everything, and the marriage announcement that says he is the grandson of Rev. Padley is referring to Agar Padley, not Alexander.  Not that this changes the possibility that Agar was the father, mind you!

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Agar Padley Agar/Thompson's father - George Agar Thompson - seems to have died in 1860.

Probate calendar reads:
Letters of administration (with the will annexed) and the personal estate and effects of George Agar Thompson formerly of Brook Cottage Albury in the County of Surrey but late of South Lawn near Exeter in the County of Devon Esquire deceased who died 5 July 1860 at Inglewood Diggings Maryborough County in the Colony of Victoria were grated at the Principal Registry to Ellen Elizabeth Ann Newton Thompson of South Lawn aforesaid widow the relict and a Residuary Legatee for Life named in the said Will she having been first sworn

Effects under £200

So did Agar Padley start using Agar as surname after father's death?

Newspaper article talking about George Agar Thompson's death, in which he appears to have taken his own life whilst suffering from delirium tremens - would that be indicative of malaria, perhaps?  http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/87944939?searchTerm=%22Agar%20Thompson%22&searchLimits=

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Amelia Agar can be identified in the 1901 and 1911 census. Her daughter Ethel Beatrix (b Bangalore) is  with her in 1901 - Ethel Beatrix was to marry Arthur Kemmis Betty (subsequently a Rear Admiral), the marriage notice indicating that she was the g grand daughter of Rev Padley. (Must do a google search for him!). The probate calendar does indicate a considerable difference in the size of the respective estates of Amelia and Agar Padley Agar, her's being substantial and his very small.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)