Author Topic: WW1 CWGC Appeal For Relatives Dec. 2016  (Read 11872 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 CWGC Appeal For Relatives Dec. 2016
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Delighted to report that the family tree member has replied - doesn't know much about John Nixon Brown - I have asked would she or any other family member be interested in attending a service of commemoration/dedication at Lambhill Cemetery ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Thursday 15 December 16 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Delighted to report that the family tree member has replied - doesn't know much about John Nixon Brown - I have asked would she or any other family member be interested in attending a service of commemoration/dedication at Lambhill Cemetery ?

Sandra

Keeping everyone updated - The person that that I contacted lives in San Francisco but is going to mention this to other relatives who live in Glasgow.  It might still be possible to get a family representative to attend any dedication ceremony that CWGC have in mind. That would be fantastic.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Thursday 15 December 16 00:46 GMT (UK) »
So fantastic Sandra. :)

I orginally posted this, with the hope that a google search would pick up the names for anyone
searching for these men. It has gone so much further with the enormous help of everyone. Thank
you so much all, for your time and effort.   :)

Cheers,
DB

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 15 December 16 08:39 GMT (UK) »
DB and Sandra, any thoughts on what do with, if anything, the original BMD certs viewed (thinking here on my part on John Nixon Brown searches)?

A naive question. Thinking again on the searches for John Nixon Brown and Imber's comments:

...It was only recently that it was discovered that John Brown's grave was at Lambhill Cemetery, Glasgow, Scotland. Until then he had been commemorated on the Brookwood Memorial, Surrey, England. It is now intended to erect a CWGC headstone on his grave. It seems likely that the CWGC may wish to invite those with a family connection to attend a small dedication ceremony or similar once the headstone is erected.....

Is there a similar background to the other names on the list, or is it a variety of reasons why these names feature on the current list by the CWGC?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 15 December 16 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes Monica, they all have a similar background.  Most such cases have been researched by military enthusiasts and then brought forward to the CWGC for consideration for war grave status. There are currently 1674 such cases under review. The actual location of Barr's grave within the churchyard is unknown so he will receive a special memorial headstone bearing the wording" Known to be buried in this churchyard" or similar. The two Sapwell cases will also receive Special Memorials for the same reason. The actual graves of Campbell, Cowan and Wyse will be marked. Christopher Sapwell's case is unusual in that it was not raised by researchers:

http://great-linford.gov.uk/commonwealth-war-graves-commission/

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Thursday 15 December 16 12:15 GMT (UK) »

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Thursday 15 December 16 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I have also spoken to a lady at CWGC who wants me to email the information so far on John Nixon Brown and Henry Keith Barr.  This I have done and they have acknowledged those e-mails.

Sandra

Added Second confirmation of e-mal received at 17-13 to say they will contact relative of Henry Keith Barr direct.

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 15 December 16 12:36 GMT (UK) »
This might not be the place to mention this.
An oddity -- my father was an Australian who served in the second world war. When he died we could have had his grave marker paid for by the govt -- however that meant we would not have been permitted any family information on that. So we had our own marker but had to pay extra for the AIF symbol on it.
phenolphthalein

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 15 December 16 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Just received the personal e-mail address for the family contact for John Nixon Brown in San Francisco and have passed this on to CWGC so that they can make contact direct.

Sandra