Author Topic: "Who Do You Think You Are" Series 13, Episode #3: Liz Bonnin  (Read 6270 times)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA (series 13): Liz Bonnin
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 December 16 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Was brilliant! I loved the episode. I had had no idea who she was but she came across really well.

Like you pharma I had no idea who she was either but really enjoyed the episode best one yet
Rosie  :)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Who Do You Think You Are" Series 13, Episode #3: Liz Bonnin
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 December 16 09:56 GMT (UK) »
The more programmes such as WDYTYA I watch the more amazed I am that people seem to be so uneducated about history, it makes me glad I was educated in Scotland. ;)

The slave trade is a case in point people these days seem to think the slave trade was some scheme dreamed up by plantation owners to provide labour in the various types of plantation.
They do not seem to realise that slavery and the slave trade has been going on since almost the dawn of time and has involved almost every nationality, religion and culture and though now illegal in every country still exists today.
Conquering or more powerful peoples would enslave those they conquered or held power over.

To put it simply this was played out in Africa when tribes raided the villages of other tribes and took villagers as their slaves at a later date such captives were sold on to English, French and Dutch traders to work the plantations. It could be argued that if it was not for the help of various tribes or peoples in Africa the Atlantic slave trade could not have existed.

Cheers
Guy

I don't think I would consider any RCers unaware of history, just perhaps know more about certain periods of history than other.  I completely agree that slavery has been around for a very long time, after all it is referred to in the Bible.

I also cannot agree with the idea that being educated in Scotland guarantees good historical knowledge.  Some conversations I have had with colleagues at work show that many people (in Scotland) have no clue even about recent history or world affairs for that matter.  For example: on the day of the Queen's 90th birthday celebrations we had the TV on at work.  My colleague who is 3 yrs older than me and aware of my age said "I don't like her, give me one good reason why she didn't fight in WW1?"  I said "well for a start she wasn't born yet, secondly women didn't tend to serve on the front line back then although nurses could get quite close thanks to moving front lines, anyway she served in WW2"  colleague replied "well how was I supposed to know that, it's ok for you I didn't live through the war". Another colleague didn't know who Fidel Castro was, another asked where they got the idea for "the crusade thing story line in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves".  I could go on, but won't.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 December 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
 ;) Oh dear, ParmaT....
Not sure if I should laugh or cry!!!!!!!!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 December 16 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
     I am Scottish and I'm neither laughing nor crying.
     Rootschat is supposed to be a friendly forum where people can help each other. I would find "pharma T's" completely uncalled for remarks about Scottish intelligence extremely offensive, except they display, on a world-wide, public forum, his/her own total lack of intelligence, manners.... (I too could go on and on)
     Regards,     Dorothy.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 December 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I was replying to Guy's post which implied all Scottish educated people knew a lot about history which I believe to be incorrect. I believe a lack of historical knowledge is down to induvidualsee paying no attention to what they are taught about history and current affair rather than a product of where they were educated.

I myself  Scottish. I'm truly sorry my words have been seen as offensive. I was not trying to say that Scottish people are stupid as my words appear to have been taken to mean. I was trying to illustrate that anyone any where can be ignorant of certain areas of knowledge.

Obviously I can add a complete inability to put my point across effectively to my complete lack of manners and intelligence I shall now remove myself from RC and try and remove myself from society. Although this may take a few attempt as due to my lack of intelligence and ability I've failed in the past.

I
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline aelfric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 December 16 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Don't go, PharmaT. All you were doing was respond with a set of examples to counterract a sweeping generalisation about different education systems.  Both sets of examples were anecdotal, but of equal validity.
As it happens I was equally surprised by the original post from ankerdine, but it isn't anything to do with intelligence.  Bing interested in history, and having had some success in quizzes in the past, I am often surprised but try to remember that there are huge areas of knowledge which I know nothing about.  My view is that you should never be embarrassed about not knowing something you never learned, nor should you be proud of it.
Unfortunately, being an arrogant b***** I still shout at contestants on the television.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 December 16 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello pharmaT,
     Guy's tongue in cheek remark was probably in answer to the following remark from Reply 6.
       "I never knew anything about the history of this area of slavery, that other countries as well as ENGLAND were involved".
     Not notice?
              Regards,     Dorothy.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 December 16 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
     I am Scottish and I'm neither laughing nor crying.
     Rootschat is supposed to be a friendly forum where people can help each other. I would find "pharma T's" completely uncalled for remarks about Scottish intelligence extremely offensive, except they display, on a world-wide, public forum, his/her own total lack of intelligence, manners.... (I too could go on and on)
     Regards,     Dorothy.

And it's remarks like this that cause more problems than it solves!

You must be overly sensitive, as I read no such sleight into pharmaT's comment whatsoever.

She was simply pointing out the an education gained in Scotland is no guarantee of intelligence and knowledge.

And you, ironically, have simply proved her point! >:(
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 December 16 12:38 GMT (UK) »
     Rootschat is supposed to be a friendly forum where people can help each other. I would find "pharma T's" completely uncalled for remarks about Scottish intelligence extremely offensive,

First:  Rootschat IS a friendly forum where people help each other
Second:  I cant see any remarks by PharmaT about Scottish Intelligence - I can see a comment that being educated in Scotland does not guarantee a good knowledge of history. That , I would say, is a fair point.   I can also see some amusing examples of comments made by people generally who haven't got a good knowledge of History.

I cant see anything about Scottish intelligence?

Don't go Pharma!

And well said KGarrad (red writing came up while I was typing)

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk