Author Topic: George Todd & Ann Beecroft - Information on family Sunderland, Durham, England  (Read 5532 times)

Offline ventabel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Todd & Ann Beecroft - Information on family Sunderland, Durham, England
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 June 19 18:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply to my 2017 post - I see that there was also another reply today from Welbat . I am busy at the moment but will get back to you shortly.

Offline Welbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George Todd & Ann Beecroft - Information on family Sunderland, Durham, England
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 June 19 07:32 BST (UK) »
In the 19c the Todds were south London builders,  were quite prolific and colourful. Charlottes's nephew called himself Arthur Middleton Todd hence my interest.

Offline ventabel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 June 19 13:30 BST (UK) »
Having set the Todd hare running, I am not quite certain how to respond as I wouldn’t claim to be a Todd family expert 
I put a post on Rootschat in 2017 asking if anyone out there knew of the business/family relationships between George Todd and Henry (aka Robert) Harland Middleton licensee of the D’Oyley Arms in Chelsea and how it is that the name Harland is unusually frequent in the area south of Durham e.g. Bishop Auckland.
The 1851 census tells us that Henry Harland Middleton was born in Devonport in 1801. Yet the name Harland is unusually frequent in the area south of Durham e.g. Bishop Auckland so the main Todd/Middleton insight that I am looking for is this:-  Was there a much earlier Durham area relationship that led to the name Harland being introduced into our Middleton family? 
As for Todd family history, I simply have a family tree, many notes and a folder full of web-sourced material that tell of their property interest, court cases etc. One interesting link is the story of the Vogue editor Dorothy Todd.  http://eprints.keele.ac.uk/2340/1/CarrodPhD2015.pdf . We also bought a couple of Ralph Todd seascapes from a Cornish dealer in Newlyn school paintings.
The suggestion that George Todd owned the Freehold of the D’Oyley Arms in Chelsea with my relative Henry Middleton as Licensee and that they were Vestrymen seems plausible.  The pub was used to local Inquests etc. Their close proximity and business relationship presumably brought Charlotte Middleton and Christopher William Todd together.
Later, Henry Harland Middleton describes himself as “Gent” and in my family we understand that he was prosperous but it isn’t clear where this wealth came from.
His death is mentioned in the 1851 Gentleman Magazine and his Will left his wife well provided. He and his wife Eliza are buried with other family in Brompton Cemetery.   

Offline Welbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 July 19 19:43 BST (UK) »
Ventabel

Thanks for all this I mainly know about the Todds. Dorothy was a half sister to Ralph Todd as her mother was Ruthella not Charlotte, CW married again. These two are the most interesting of the bunch and easy to research having a profile.
I am slowly investigating the Todds and have quite a mass of poorly collated information. I will go through this and see if there any references to the D'Oyley Arms but I have a memory of other pubs. Not sure if they were owned or on long leaseholds but probably good rents. I have no memory of any mention of Middleton or Harland, but will check. They appeared to be keen on keeping their roots with County Durham house names as well as retaining contacts.
I will revert.

Offline Welbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 07:51 BST (UK) »
I have done some brief research.
The tree I have shows Charlotte's parents as Henry Robert Middleton and Hannah Plat with his parents as Thomas M and Anne unknown. Is their any more information on this line, where did they come from.
I need to get a copy of CWT's will which may reveal. The only pub reference  I can find, relate  to his father George's ownerships. These include the Builders Arms Russell Street Chelsea, and a Beer Shop in Masborough Street Hammersmith. But there are lots of other roads do you have a name?

Offline ventabel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 20 July 19 12:49 BST (UK) »
We believe, the following to be an accurate account:-

Hy (Henry) Harland Middleton born 1801 in Devonport m Eliza Frances Jones born 1799  in Bath (Sources Pallot Marriage Index, X102/072 - Index to Marriages St Marylebone  -1826- 28, X023/056 – Register of Marriages St Marylebone – 1826 – 27, X23/078 – Register of Banns St Marylebone 1826 – 29
Two children from this marriage…..
Charlotte Middleton born 1834 Daughter of Henry Robert & Eliza Middleton (nee Jones) married Christopher William Todd at St.Lukes Chelsea  16th February1854 (note that Henry Harland has now assumed the name Robert in place of Harland (Sources 1851 Census IGI LMA - St Luke’s Chelsea Christening Records
George Harland Middleton born 1841 Son of Henry Robert & Eliza Middleton (nee Jones)
And later various Harland Middletons through the generations.

This is a pointer to Christopher William Todd’s Will – we do not have a copy.
Birmingham Daily Post (Birmingham, England), Friday, August 19, 1892; Issue 10659.
Wills & Bequests:  Of Christopher William Todd, late of 105, Cromwell Road, Kensington and 8, Augusta Gardens, Folkestone : exceeding £33,000 – Illustrated London News.

As for the pubs, we understand that George Todd built the Builders Arms (still in business!) and probably other pubs
Builders Arms, 13 Britten Street, SW3 - March 2009 information below found on the web written by Stephen Harris
Studying a number of old Indentures concerning the Anchor Brewery, Britten Street, I can refine the given date of 1840 to 1841. From an Indenture dated 6th December 1841: Part of the leasehold land held by Henry Plumptre Gipps was sublet to the Chelsea Builder, George Todd (20/Apr/1841) ***

From an Indenture dated 3/Apr/1847: Reciting an Indenture dated 16/Dec/1841 “also all that then New Brick Messuage or Tenements thereon standing and then lately erected and built by the said George Todd and known as and called the Builders Arms (being part of the premises secondly thereinbefore described) were by an Indenture of Lease bearing date the sixth day of December One thousand eight hundred and forty one demised to the said George Todd” ***[/i][/i]

1843/George Todd/../../../Kellys Directory ****

In the 1843 directory, there is also a George Todd, builder living at 10 Marlborough Road, Chelsea
In the 1848 directory, there is also a George Todd, builder living at 10 Orford Place, Marlborough Road, Chelsea 1851/George Dobson/../../../Kellys Directory ****
Now here’s the interesting part…our ancestor Henry (Harland/Robert) Middleton was the Landlord of the D’Oyley Arms from 1834 - 1851. The D'Oyley Arms was situated at 34 Marlborough Road. This pub is long demolished. Marlborough Road has now been renamed Draycott Avenue..…these are the changes of street address for the D’Oyley Arms…. at 14 Orford Place, Marlborough Road in 1856; at 34 Draycott Avenue by 1934. 
See above for George Todd’s various addresses caused by street name changes. Now, Henry Middleton/Robert Henry Middleton/Henry Harland Middleton lived at 11 Orford Place (1839 – 1846) and 14, Orford Place (1851). We can probably guess that George Todd’s family and the Middletons lived next door to each other. Not improbably, Charlotte Middleton & Christopher William Todd were next door neighbours and their fathers had some sort of business relationship. This led to the marriage of the couple on the 16th February 1854 at St Luke’s Chelsea. She died  18th September 1877.

Offline Welbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 21 July 19 08:38 BST (UK) »
Very interesting and very detailed research. Puts mine to shame, roll on retirement! Certainly there was Todd property in Marlborough Road and it is  logical the Middleton's were neighbours. I did not know there was also a property in Folkestone.
I assume the Middleton's were a Devonian family and like others moved to London to take their chances.
Many thanks.