Author Topic: Grandad's secret life . . .  (Read 2759 times)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grandad's secret life . . .
« on: Tuesday 13 December 16 09:37 GMT (UK) »
I just discovered my grandad had a secret double life . . . according to an Ancestry online tree  ::)

All the time I was living in the same house as him, he was secretly moonlighting in New York where he emigrated . . . apparently. Must have regularly popped across the Atlantic while I was asleep, I guess, and got back before morning  :-\

I used to add corrections, but with the responses I had over the years I no longer bother. Any serious researcher would cross-reference and verify their data before publishing online.

I still post corrections to errors in the sources when I find them.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: Grandad's secret life . . .
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 09:42 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D.  Just show's Mike . . . . You should have slept with your eyes open to keeps eye on that Grandfather. -  not only that but he seems to have invented time travel as well.

Aren't you proud to be related to him?     ;D ::)

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline bicker

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 09:46 GMT (UK) »
I had to have a little chuckle at your post. I have sometimes contacted people with trees online and not always had a good response! Looking at the 1939 listing I noticed that my Father, at 18 was listed as a widower!! what!! When I downloaded the records I noticed the poor writing which was transcribed incorrectly (I did have a good look first for a marriage)

Think of all those air miles your Grandad would have done if true :)

Somerset
Areas Bridgwater, Street, Glastonbury and surrounding Villages

Names, Whitcombe (and variations) , Diment, Mounsher, Cave

Wiltshire
Areas Pewsey, Calne
Clements, Ashton, Henly, Groves, Burgess

Kent
All, Folkestone for Punnett family
Punnett, Roalfe (and variations), Vaughan, Tuff,

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Aaaah, the title fooled me.... I was hoping for a nice juicy story, but it's just another tale of incorrect Ancestry trees.  ::)

Your grandfather sounds like a fascinating man - surely worthy of an episode of WDYTYA :)

I take the same approach as you - ignore all those trees with glaring errors, otherwise you'll spend a lifetime trying to correct them.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 10:32 GMT (UK) »
I take the same approach as you - ignore all those trees with glaring errors, otherwise you'll spend a lifetime trying to correct them.

That about sums it up.  It's not worth trying to sort out trees which clearly have been carelessly compiled. I do sometimes contact the owner of a tree which looks very reliable except for one small but significant error.  Other than that, I look at those trees in the faint hope of finding something new (and plausible).
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 10:40 GMT (UK) »
I've given up even trying to correct them. According to one, my father died in America. No he didn't, I was with him when he died and I've never been to America. My grandfather also married a completely different woman according to another tree, which means that I shouldn't be here. Even though the owner of the tree agreed they'd made a mistake, they haven't changed it, so that's now up to them if they are happy to have incorrect information.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 10:49 GMT (UK) »
That did make me smile Mike...Apparently my Father was born In Norfolk in 1906 and was a Fisherman...err...he was born in 1916 in St. John's Nfld. and was in the navy...gives a new meaning to the phrase "a girl in every port"  ;D ;D The owner did correct their tree though.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 11:14 GMT (UK) »

Your post did make me chuckle Mike.  You really have a first, a time travelling grandad, or perhaps he had access to supersonic flight long before the Concorde, much better than the proverbial "skeletons". ;D ;D

I also find it is a waste of time to try and correct mistakes on other trees, if they can't be bothered to do their research correctly and try to verify facts before adding them, then I don't think they are really serious genealogists. ;)

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 11:25 GMT (UK) »
So, Mike, your Grandad was the REAL Santa?   !  :o
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex