Author Topic: Alexandrina Victoria Fuller - NSW?  (Read 3178 times)

Online bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Alexandrina Victoria Fuller - NSW?
« on: Tuesday 13 December 16 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I've recently started looking at this rather distant relative (my g-g-grandmother's sister) and am trying to discover what happened to her, out of curiosity more than anything else.  She was born in Sandwich, Kent in 1840, first daughter of Stephen and Frances Fuller.  I've found her in 1881, unmarried, in Marylebone, employed as a servant

Address    1 St Johns Wood Road
Parish    Marylebone
Registration District    Marylebone
Image Reference    RG11/0165/~F90

After that she disappears.

I have an (Ancestry) hint that someone of her name emigrated to NSW arriving in January 1882 but I can't find any subsequent reference to her in the NSW BMD.  She did have cousins who had previously emigrated to Australia so perhaps she didn't stay in the state but moved elsewhere.

There's a marriage for an A.V.F. in Paddington (England) in 1886 but I don't think this is her, unless she had taken up with a much younger man.  However, if she isn't to be found in Australia, I may have to go back to that.
If anyone can find Alexandrina in NSW or anywhere else in Australia, I'll be most grateful.
Cheers
Bev

P.S.  It's amazing how many people named their daughters after the Queen!  Alexandrina Victoria was a really common name, surprisingly enough,
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Alexandrina Victoria Fuller - NSW?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 21:26 GMT (UK) »
NSW 'passenger' lists at Ancestry  ::) can often include CREW, not just passengers emigrating  :)

Crew on the Garonne, arriving Sydney NSW in Jan 1882 include

FULLER, Alexandrina Victoria, aged 40, British. (A stewardess)

http://marinersandships.com.au/1882/01/media/039gar3.gif

Here’s a live link to the free to search ongoing project, perhaps if you search for A V Fuller she may be on other voyages too.

http://marinersandships.com.au/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline bootzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 21:45 GMT (UK) »
1881 census has Alexandrina age 40 b Landwick Kent as a Caretaker at 1St John’s Wood Road unmarried St John – Marylebone.

She is on the list of crew  on ship Bruthen for Sydney as a Stewardess – worked passage.. though transcribed as ship “Garonne” arriving 12 Jan 1882 – NSW Unassisted Immigrant passenger lists.

By the looks of it Alexandrina carried on working on the ships as Stewardess as ship “Chimborazoo” arrived Sydney 15 March 1884 and she is now 1st Stewardess.

Sept qtr 1886 Paddington UK she married either Thomas Colpitts Granger or Benjamin Seth Smith

Online bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  Thanks!   :D
That's a big jump from a caretaker to a transcontinental stewardess!  Good for her!

I saw the 1886 marriage but can't find any of the parties on the 1891 census, and one of the men (I can't remember which one now) was a good 20 years younger than her, which is what made me doubt.  May I ask if you can see her in 1891 /1901 /1911?  I've had no luck.  Maybe she was at sea.

Many thanks to you both
Bev
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 22:06 GMT (UK) »
The ship is NOT Bruthen

She is on the list of crew  on ship Bruthen for Sydney as a Stewardess – worked passage.. though transcribed as ship “Garonne” arriving 12 Jan 1882 – NSW Unassisted Immigrant passenger lists.

The word is actually Burthen, and it is a maritime word, used to describe a ship's 'tonnage'.   Widely used in shipping information at Trove. The Garonne was of 2468 tons on that Jan 1882 voyage, as per the live link I posted earlier.

http://marinersandships.com.au/1882/01/039gar.htm 
Source: State Records Authority of New South Wales: Shipping Master's Office; Passengers Arriving 1855 - 1922; NRS13278, [X155] reel 449.   Transcribed by zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

JM suggests scroll down and read the following:

You may view/print a scan of the original list  (JM SAYS CLICK ON LIVE LINKS HERE)  a monitor set to high resolution is recommended for clarity. Use your back button to return.

http://marinersandships.com.au/1882/01/media/039gar.gif  first page has ALL the maritime details

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 23:07 GMT (UK) »
That voyage of the Garonne:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/107225793  Evening News 31 Dec 1881
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/107986971 Evening News 13 Jan 1882
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/107992269  Evening News 14 Jan 1882

JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 01:19 GMT (UK) »

Sept qtr 1886 Paddington UK she married either Thomas Colpitts Granger or Benjamin Seth Smith

A couple of notes on the man Thomas Colpitts GRANGER
One of that name died in 1927 and was a knight.
A record of his probate granting.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j1i/

Death

Deaths Mar 1927 
GRANGER Thomas C    74    St.Geo.H.Sq.
 1a/702

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the ongoing help  :)
OK so Thomas Colpitts Granger the famous barrister married Lilian Payn, so if the 1886 marriage record is the right one, Alexandrina married Benjamin Seth Smith.
I can't see her on any more voyages after the ones majm and bootzy posted, which would tie in with her getting married.  Nor can I find any reference to her in Australia.
How about this for an incredible coincidence.  My g-g-grandfather was a convict who very unusually made good and became a fairly wealthy man.  In 1886, 40 years almost to the day from his arrival in Australia, he took his family back to England on - guess which ship  -  the Chimborazo  :)

Bev
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 December 16 00:57 GMT (UK) »
There is an on-line image of the parish register marriage entry:

16 Jul 1886, at St Saviour, Paddington, Borough:Westminster. By banns.
Benjamin Seth SMITH, 26, bachelor, valet; Father: Israel John Smith, valet
Alexandrina Victoria FULLER, 35,  Father: Stephen Fuller, confectioner
Both give 47 Lanark Villas as their residence.
Witnesses: James Walker, Marion? Bridgman

By 1911 Benjamin Seth SMITH, 51, is a decorator, living at 8 Silchester Road S W (Kensington)
Head of household, b London, United Kingdom
Says he has been married for 26 years (abt 1885)
In same household: Jessie SMITH, 48, wife, married 26 years, b Aberdeen Scotland

So Alexandrina is not with her husband in 1911, unless she is using a different forename, age and place of birth, although Benjamin and Jessie quote their marriage as dating from about the same time as Benjamin/Alexandrina.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk