Author Topic: Oh dear!! Disappointing news............  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Oh dear!! Disappointing news............
« on: Friday 16 December 16 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I am sad to report that I have just received notification that I have had an automatic renewal of my FindMyPast subscription, although I made a point of checking yesterday, and the auto box was blank.  i.e., no renewal requested.

I have made contact on line with FindMyPast, and been assured the money will be refunded, but that it will take at least one week, (plus xmas delay I expect,) before the refund appears on my bank statement.

I have never had this happen to me before with FindMyPast  :'( but be warned:  CAVEAT EMPTOR.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: Oh dear!! Disappointing news............
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 December 16 15:42 GMT (UK) »
When I renew my FindMyPast subs, I make sure the auto box is blank. But I also delete my credit card information from my profile.

Just to make sure no accidents happen  ;)

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 December 16 16:11 GMT (UK) »

Mine automatically renewed last week, - even though I had unticked the requisite box!

I phoned them to cancell, - and to point out that this was an error, - and have now been reimbursed.

Definately something to watch out for though...

Romilly :o
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 December 16 17:44 GMT (UK) »
On the reverse side, I hadn't got the box clicked for automatic renewal but they didn't send me a reminder either.  I only realised the sub had expired when I couldn't get into Findmypast.  Of course, as a "new" subscriber it was much more expensives.  I telephoned FindMyPast to explain that I hadn't had a reminder (the person I spoke to said it should have been sent but when she checked my account it hadn't!), and that as someone who'd had a sub with FindMyPast for a long time I didn't want to take out another sub on line at extra cost.  She said they are not allowed to renew or even sell subs over the 'phone so that I would have to pay the on line cost but that she would make a note on my file and watch it and immediately I paid she would refund the difference.

I renewed within a few minutes and almost instantly I got an e-mail advising me that the difference between a renewal sub and a new sub had been refunded to my credit card.   I replied to the e-mail thanking the lady very much.

By the way, I'm still not signed up for automatic renewal, but I've made a note on my on line calendar as to when the sub is due. 

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 December 16 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Phew!  :P  I just checked, and my sub expired on 10th and hasn't renewed automatically - that's a relief ....
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 December 16 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Just checked mine as it expired on the 2nd and it hasn't renewed either.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 December 16 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Good news for me as my 1 month sub has not renewed as I clicked for it to not auto renew a week ago.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain