Author Topic: Marriage of Edward D. Chapin and Hattie E. McColley  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Edward D. Chapin and Hattie E. McColley
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 December 16 04:52 GMT (UK) »
...The paper is two paragraphs long and Edward D. Chapin and George ? (New,?), Marshall both bound to the the State of Delaware $200...

Looking at the 1870 census that has Robert, Hettie and Clayton, on the same page is
Wm Marshal, Physician (and family)
Could he be the same person as noted above?   :-\  Maybe "New" could be Wm?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 December 16 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the marriage didn't last but he is a good candidate to be Clayton McColley's father inasamuch as his mother's name was Clayton.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j3l/

Good find!
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 December 16 05:11 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this is "your" Hiram or not, but there is a short paragraph about Hiram and his father, James.
http://www.coastalpoint.net/content/gone_winds_tara_replicated_milford
Apologies if it isn't the same family.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 December 16 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Interesting article.  I don't know if it's the same Hiram McColley but it looks like it must be the same family.  I'm related to the Chapins, not the McColleys.  Or, more correctly, I am related to Olive Stanford.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 December 16 05:22 GMT (UK) »
One online site states that T. P. McColley was "at first" a hatter and then worked in the general mercantile business (dry goods, groceries, liquors and drugs).  The site also mentions Dr. George W. Marshall.

"Historical etchings of Milford and vicinity: some facts and..."

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 December 16 05:26 GMT (UK) »
I'll pop back over to researching Olive's side.   ;)  It was quite interesting finding the facts and material about the McColley's (I was hoping to find something about Olive while digging).  While I'm not American, I am interested in the American Civil War era.

I haven't yet found Olive's passing but I haven't exhausted all possibilities.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 December 16 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Olive was born in Gardiner, Kennebec County, Maine, 9 November 1842.  Her parents were Mary E. Mitchell and Isaiah Stanford.  Mary E. Mitchell was a sister of my gg-grandmother, Nancy Ann Mitchell.  Olive was the youngest of five children and her father died soon after her birth [20 May 1843 in Gardiner].  Mary Mitchell then married Daniel Johnson and they eventually moved from Maine to Boston and then later to Appleton, Wisconsin [where Daniel died].  I assume they went out to Wisconsin because several other Mitchells were already out there, including my gg-grandmother.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 December 16 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for adding additional facts.   :)

Could this be Olive?
1878 Boston, MA Directory
Mrs. Olive E. Chapin boards 30 Worcester
(and, Edward D. Chapin (Gass, Doe & Chapin), 61 F. H. market, house at Brookline)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 December 16 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Others living at 30 Worcester in 1878 (in case there might be a link):
Mrs. H M Richardson (boards)
Gardner F Sanderson (house)
Henry W Tenney (boards 30 Worcester square) Salesman
Nathaniel F Tenney (h 30 Worcester Sq) Tenney, Aldrich, & Co. (boots and shoes)
Charles G Bullard (boards 30 Worcester sq - Cambridgeport) merchadise broker

So, if this Olive is "yours", perhaps she left Edward's residence around the end of 1877/beginning of 1878?