Author Topic: Spittal Parish Registers  (Read 2767 times)

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Spittal Parish Registers
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Could not resist having a quick look for Margaret and found her straight away:

20 Oct 1855 Lamberton Toll Alfred Thomas Gilbert of Foxton, County of Kent, engineer and blacksmith, to Margaret Hogg of Spittal.
Source: Vol 2 Irregular Border Marriages published by the NDFHS and available for purchase from their website.

The Gilberts are also in Middle St in 1861, no children with them but Margaret is the right age. I have a strong feeling the name Gilbert came up yesterday when I was looking at the Hills - perhaps it was just the census entry but I will try and remember.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you SelDen for your understanding. Yes I have the census records - and noticed the William Hogg next door to to Thomas Hills and wife Mary Hogg. I had thought it was probably a relative - but hadn't got as far back as researching Mary's birth or finding her siblings.
I was trying to discover her marriage and find out her real maiden name.

(By the way - I love the imaginative names of the streets in Spittal -- in 1851 the Hills family are in Front St -- In 1861 - Middle St and in 1871 - Back St!) On the face of it they were moving backwards - a street at a time!

Boo -- yes, a good thought re the father's name being given as a middle name.

Regards June
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 18:20 GMT (UK) »
SelDen --- you will be pleased to know that you have beaten me into submission and I have just purchased a selection of various booklets/CDs from NDFHS! Over £37 worth!
I take it you are a member/volunteer (as I am for my own Society - Lancashire).

I may not need them in view of the info everyone has provided -- but I can pass them on to my friend, whose tree I am trying to do. (Well I'm only attempting the main lines - she may want to carry on and have a go at the peripheral lines.)
Places of interest;

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Oh June, I am so sorry!   :-[  My promotion of the NDFHS resources was not aimed at you at all - you had explained you were out of area researching for a friend. It is just that when I have previously posted about irregular marriages I have been asked where I got them from, so I thought that I would be upfront.

Also the NDFHS does have a great range of resources of which people tend not be aware. I enjoy the welcoming environment of Rootschat and never intended to put pressure on anyone or discourage look ups  :'(

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 December 16 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Merry Christmas too you both.

I look forward to what the Certs say when they arrive :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 December 16 11:44 GMT (UK) »
SelDen -- I was only joking honestly -- but I have purchased a whole lot of booklets/CDs - you are right -- there are loads on the NDFHS website.

I don't blame you for promoting them at all - every Society needs as much support as it can get these days - as memberships are falling - so much available on line.
I have had to print all these messages about this family - so much information has poured in and I have to go through it bit by bit.

Due to my current circumstances I can't do much all at once so I am taking it slowly and also searching for siblings.
I have ordered the certs - but I imagine they won't help really -- there will just be Hogg on one and Johnson on the other! It's so odd though - surely she had enough children to remember what she had said the previous times!! (Unless she's like me).

I will let you know what the certs say though (I've ordered one for Thomas (mn Hogg)- the direct line -- and another for Adam (mn Johnson).

I hope you all enjoy your Christmas and I wish you a happy and healthy 2017 -- with my grateful thanks for all you have done.

Regards June
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 24 December 16 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Folks,

Yes I know it's a strange time to be writing a message -- Christmas Eve, but I've been hospital visiting and wanted a distraction.

I can't quite believe this - but I sent for the 2 Hills birth certificates late on 20th December - one where maiden name on the GRO index was shown as Hogg - and one where maiden name on the index was Johnson. I didn't order priority - but both have arrived today! Maybe I am one of just a few people ordering certificates at this time of the year!

The one where maiden name was Hogg was registered by the mother - Mary Hills, formerly Hogg.

The one where maiden name was Johnson was registered by her husband, Thomas Hills. So maybe all the ones with Hogg as maiden name were registered by the mother - and the Johnson ones by the father.

Whether Mary Hogg's husband THOUGHT her maiden name was Johnson, or just didn't like saying to the Registrar that it was Hogg - we'll never know.

I'll look now at the information you kindly provided about Mary's birth and that of her brother to see if anything more comes to light. Many thanks again everyone - and very best wishes to you all.

Regards June
Places of interest;