Author Topic: Ice Cream Shop in Greenock  (Read 5995 times)

Offline escollay

• RootsChat Member
  • Eoin
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cream Shop in Greenock
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 01:45 GMT (UK) »
What year is your last sight of Ann to narrow down a death?

Annie

I have her death certificate from 1915. She died in the poorhouse
Scollay - Shetland (Sjovald line)
Odie - Shetland
Bannon - Belfast
Donaghy - Belfast/Derry
Rooney - Belfast
McManus- Belfast

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Such a pity that I have spent a good part of the day looking for info. only to find you already have everything I have found or have been looking for which could have saved me the trouble had you posted all known facts originally.

Good luck in your quest.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Escollay,

As this family is a bit complicated, I suggest you set out all that you know in a timeline. This will make it clearer for anyone willing to assist you. If you add things such as aliases, last known sightings, certificates, censuses etc, people will know where the gaps are, and it will save them from duplicating what you already know. Obviously you cannot write every single detail on a thread such as this, but the vital things such as "have in 1881 and 1901 census only" "cannot find in 1891" will save people going over old ground.

Offline escollay

• RootsChat Member
  • Eoin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Such a pity that I have spent a good part of the day looking for info. only to find you already have everything I have found or have been looking for which could have saved me the trouble had you posted all known facts originally.

Good luck in your quest.

Annie

I am thankful for your help, although I did say at the start I was looking for information regarding their ice cream shop in Greenock.

I was working for the majority of the day, and only discovered all the research that had been done whenever I finished work.

I had posted earlier in the year on a different thread trying to get information about their whole life time, which was actually linked in this thread by somebody. There has been information posted that is food for thought, so I wouldn't call it "a pity".

I apologize if this wasn't clear enough but I was looking for their time in Greenock.
Odie - Shetland
Bannon - Belfast
Donaghy - Belfast/Derry
Rooney - Belfast
McManus- Belfast

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Not sure why on Reply 1 you didn't say you had any of them or who on other census'?

Not sure how good a researcher you are but often we have to collate info. from elsewhere to answer a particular question?

In this query, yes you wanted to know about the time in Greenock.

To find this out, I checked all addresses from census' to then look up the Valuation Rolls hence needing to know the census info. before I went to the Valuation Rolls.

I also asked on 2 occasions about the connection to Port Glasgow for the same reason as the date where you found that info. may have helped me to help you but that question has been ignored.

I was also looking for son Laurence on census' to see if he had any connection with the Ice-cream business i.e. an address would have again helped for Valuation Rolls but I now see he died in Ireland which wasn't mentioned.

There are many ways of concluding things with different info. to relate to/expand on but questions unanswered don't help us to help you.

For reference to others who may be searching, some more info.....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=761410.0

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you did ask about the ice cream shop, but often, knowing the background story can help.

As well as the icecream shop, you also asked about their place of birth in Italy.

You were advised to download a copy of the original 1901 census from SP because it's not going to be Cakemore as transcribed. Once you do that, post the relevant words here if you would like some opinions on the place name. Do you have any instances of their place of birth in other documents?

At the beginning of the thread I asked about Naturalisation. Have you explored this yet?

I also asked if you had Peter's death certificate, and if it named his parents?

Offline escollay

• RootsChat Member
  • Eoin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Not sure why on Reply 1 you didn't say you had any of them or who on other census'?

Not sure how good a researcher you are but often we have to collate info. from elsewhere to answer a particular question?

In this query, yes you wanted to know about the time in Greenock.

To find this out, I checked all addresses from census' to then look up the Valuation Rolls hence needing to know the census info. before I went to the Valuation Rolls.

I also asked on 2 occasions about the connection to Port Glasgow for the same reason as the date where you found that info. may have helped me to help you but that question has been ignored.

I was also looking for son Laurence on census' to see if he had any connection with the Ice-cream business i.e. an address would have again helped for Valuation Rolls but I now see he died in Ireland which wasn't mentioned.

There are many ways of concluding things with different info. to relate to/expand on but questions unanswered don't help us to help you.

For reference to others who may be searching, some more info.....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=761410.0

Annie

Yes Annie, I am aware of that post, as it is my post. This is the second post of mine, which has been linked back to me.

I was not ignoring requests for information, as I mentioned I was working and I was trying to catch up on the requests. There were 3 full pages of records posted before I even had a chance to reply.

Yes I did mention about finding where they were from Italy, but I did say that was my "overall goal" & the point of this post was to find out about their time in Greenock & any information relating to the Ice Cream shop, hence the title.

Also being patronising about my research skills is quite insulting.

I think it will be better if we leave this and I do this research on my own.
Odie - Shetland
Bannon - Belfast
Donaghy - Belfast/Derry
Rooney - Belfast
McManus- Belfast

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 13:05 GMT (UK) »
This being the original post...

I am searching for some of my ancestors who at one stage lived and apparently operated an Ice Cream Shop in Greenock.

Dominick Bonino was an Italian who lived in Glasgow & Greenock, I have him listed on the 1881 census as living in Market Street & 1885 Valuation Rolls living in Cathcart Street. On his wife's application for relief he is listed as having one in Cartsdyke Street (not sure if this exists) - see attached image.

I've always struggled finding information of them, as the surname changes alot (Bannon, Bonina, Bonnino, Bonham, Bonnayn) and they seem to move around alot. Any information would be great!

Summary of what it gives us:

Dominic Bonino (No yr of birth/death)
Born Italy
Lived Glasgow & Greenock (No dates/places)?
1881 lived in Market St (Glasgow or Greenock)?
1885 living Cathcart Street (Glasgow or Greenock)?
On his wife's application for relief he is listed as having one in Cartsdyke Street (No date)?

I was not patronising, merely explaining why we need to expand on minimum info. such as dates/definitive places/names & such like  ::)

Annie

Added,
Yes Annie, I am aware of that post, as it is my post. This is the second post of mine, which has been linked back to me.

Links are for the benefit of other researchers  ::)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 16:29 GMT (UK) »
This is for the benefit of others trying to help (in case of more duplication of effort) as there is more info. here such as a possible place of where the family originated.

Annie