Author Topic: 1905 Death Apparently Not Registered But Probate Granted  (Read 2569 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: 1905 Death Apparently Not Registered But Probate Granted
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 December 16 22:39 GMT (UK) »
A death within the State can be registered....

Thanks for that, but of course these are the modern regulations. Historically, many people "would never be seen dead" near a doctor - and weren't!!  As others have stated, a doctor's death certificate was NOT formerly required in order to register death, so long as the "informant" met other requirements, being "present at death" being the main one, a close relative, or the "occupier" of the building in which the deceased passed away.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 December 16 22:45 GMT (UK) »
....  I have never been able to find a registration of his death from 1901 to 1911 in Ballinrobe, where I would have expected to find it, or anywhere in Ireland and still cannot.

Non-registration of deaths was all too common.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 December 16 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Also in my family my grandmother who died in 1965 in Roscommon and her death was never registered.  I have the death notice from the newspaper and sent it in to the GRO for them to search but to no avail.

If a BMD wasn't registered immediately there was a fine and I suppose if there was nothing to gain by registering it (e.g. pensions etc.) people then didn't.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline eddiekelso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 23 December 16 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Did you try searching for death registration under "Higgins"? Not the first time wrong name was registered!!
Kelso, McDowell, Kerr, Gamble, Harkins, Nelson (Kinallen, Dromara - 1st Dromara Presbyterian Church).
Kempton, Artt, Boon, Murray (Cookstown, Co. Tyrone)

Offline maryalex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 23 December 16 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have tried Higgins.  I have accepted that the death just was not registered.