Author Topic: "Who Do You Think You Are" Series 13, Episode 5 Ricky Tomlinson  (Read 18564 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Who Do You Think You Are" Series 13, Episode 5 Ricky Tomlinson
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 24 December 16 16:00 GMT (UK) »
A Carter = a labourer with a horse!

Skoosh.

. and cart  :) an old fashioned "white van man"   :)  the first one to buy the horse and cart probably had the gift of the gab to have won orders against such fierce competition.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 24 December 16 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Was just going to say the same, Rena, about a carter being a 'white van man' or man with van.     I have a carter in the tree and poor families all over, together with industrial schools.    I got a bit annoyed with Ricky Tomlinson.   You would have thought his family was particularly picked out for a duff hand in life.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 24 December 16 16:14 GMT (UK) »
  You would have thought his family was particularly picked out for a duff hand in life.

Some people must have watched a different programme from me. Ricky Tomlinson was using the individuals in his own family to illustrate a much wider point about inequality and unfairness.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 24 December 16 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Is there any difference between a carter and a rullyman? A couple of my ancestors in East and West Yorkshire were rullymen in both 18th and 19th centuries. I've always assumed this was a driver of a horse drawn cart.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Saturday 24 December 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Is there any difference between a carter and a rullyman? A couple of my ancestors in East and West Yorkshire were rullymen in both 18th and 19th centuries. I've always assumed this was a driver of a horse drawn cart.

Do you mean a lurryman ?  (i.e.lorry)  That name crops up occasionally.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Saturday 24 December 16 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - yes I did mean lurryman. And rullyman. Just checked my records and the West Yorks ancestor was a lurryman, whilst the East Yorks one was a rullyman but, as far as I know, both drove horse drawn carts! Must just be the local vernacular.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Saturday 24 December 16 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I have Rullymen too and I'm from East Yorkshire  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 24 December 16 18:39 GMT (UK) »

In today's terms a carter would be anything from driving a van to a rigid large goods vehicle and the lurryman the artic drivers (i.e. the heavy carts).

This however is not cast in stone and depending on who used the term both could mean the driver of any size of horse drawn cart.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Gnlgymd100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Saturday 24 December 16 18:56 GMT (UK) »
I enjoyed this one.  In fact the series on the whole so far has been quite interesting.  Mind you, I was a bit disappointed with Cheryl's one last week - she seemed disinterested at times but like Ricky's this week - you did get a sense of her pride in where she came from.  I'd have liked her episode to go back a few more generations on the Laing line but that's purely because I wanted to see if I was right with thinking that her Laings came initially from Scotland :D

Kay
Gordon, Carter, Lunie, Young, Pirie, Duncan,  Belgrie, Croll, Watt, Ferguson, Peat, Brand, Smith, Wallace, Middleton, Miller, Bell, Mollison, Gauld/Gault/Gall, Clerk/Clark, Anderson,  Grassick, Robertson, Niper, Kerr, Kinnear, Edwards, Low, Stewart, M(a)cDonald, Lamb, Petrie, Cowlie, Muckart, Tweedale, Davidson(e), M(a)cLeod, Stephen, Grassie, Mitchell, Whyte, M(a)cLean, Carnegie, Will, Robert, Fairweather, Hill, Reid, Steel, Jackson, Page, Murfitt, Bass,