Author Topic: Edward Longmore, The Herefordshire Giant  (Read 330 times)

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Edward Longmore, The Herefordshire Giant
« on: Saturday 24 December 16 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if the Morning Post newspaper pre-1801 is online anywhere? It starts in 1801 on the British Library Newspaper site and I guess the same applies to it on Findmypast as I've been unable to find what I'm looking for on it.

I want to check a story that was supposed to have been published on 22 March 1777 about the Herefordshire Giant, a chap called Edward Longmore at St Mary's Hendon, and that although he was supposed to have been buried 15 foot deep, the anatomists dug him up and stole his body.

This is referenced on British History Online, and also apparently is the basis for most about him that comes up on a Google search. All I've found searching the BL Newspaper site are reports of his death on 24 January in The Scots Magazine and Northampton Mercury. As a lot of newspapers at the time seem to have copied their content from other papers I'm surprised that none of them picked up on such a story and published it themselves.

Thanks

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.