Author Topic: 155 east cheshire heavy battery.Royal Garrison Artillery.  (Read 920 times)

Offline kimhulme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
155 east cheshire heavy battery.Royal Garrison Artillery.
« on: Sunday 25 December 16 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Somebody, somewhere. must have an ancestor who enlisted at the same time 23/24 Oct  1915 as my  research subject Arthur Robinson  (8497)  in Stockport. I have the usual downloadable documents regarding his service ....plus photos etc from his late daughter-in -law. BUT I don't have War Diaries (I know available) and the nitty -gritty accounts that a fellow enlister might have made. Local newspapers of that date imply that the enlisted men would be trained and 'ready' in 3 weeks. Arthur crossed to France on May 31, 1916, and was at the Somme. Severe gunshot wounds August. Stationary hospital No.3 at Rouen and Hospital Ship 'Western Australia' to the UK. At Edinburgh War Hospital, Bangour, they 'cut out' his gangrene. He left 27 March 1917- I  have the small bible he was presented with. Next, May, was at Portsmouth with 30 Coy until it was decided that he was unsuitable for employment in RGA and he was finally discharged 2 Aug 1917 being no longer fit for war service. All help gratefully received.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 155 east cheshire heavy battery.Royal Garrison Artillery.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 December 16 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the National Archives? I found some relating to a relative's service and was able to download a copy for a few pounds.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=royal+garrison+artillery&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_cr1=WO+95&_col=200&_hb=tna

Heather

Offline kimhulme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 155 east cheshire heavy battery.Royal Garrison Artillery.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 December 16 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks HJ. I know of the National Archives and the small fee for access. It is on my list for accessing. Like I said, there must be someone local whose ancestor was in the same unit. I'm waiting for a response from a museum in Lancaster where possibly his medals went (he died in Morecambe) and I think he must have held his war experiences in some high respect because he applied for and received a 'Couer de la Somme' from a private  association in France. I have read of a medal tracing outfit which might be worth looking into. I have 4 'dead man's penny' bronze plaques- of course he didn't have one but somebody somewhere would like them. (I did phone a lady in Stockport last year re the Herbert Scowcroft one. She said there is none of the family left, which is to be expected to a certain extent. I also have one of his WW1 medals.
Cheers.