Author Topic: Workhouses  (Read 1032 times)

Offline SDP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Workhouses
« on: Tuesday 27 December 16 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Would it be possible for a husband & wife to be in two different workhouses at the same time?
BANKS - Holborn,London
LATTAWAY - anywhere
BRAIN(E)S - Northamptonshire
RYALL - Ireland

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouses
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Can you please say in which country, and at what date?

Offline SDP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 17 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

London, England 1911

Thanks
BANKS - Holborn,London
LATTAWAY - anywhere
RYALL - Ireland

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 17 18:54 GMT (UK) »
A wife's place of legal settlement depended on her husband's. So normally you would expect them to be in institutions that belonged to the same poor-law union, though not necessarily in the same workhouse within that union.

A few reasons why a married couple might be in institutions in different poor-law unions ...
* they had not been living together for a while and did not admit to being married
* the husband could not be located (e.g. because of desertion)
* pending the outcome of an investigation by the poor-law union into the legal place of settlement
* pending the resolution of a legal dispute between two poor-law unions over place of settlement
* awaiting preparation of a magistrate's removal order to move them to the appropriate union
* prior agreement by one union to pay the relevant costs to the other, thus avoiding physical removal
* too ill to be physically removed, so being held under a suspended order until sufficiently recovered
* pending some other sort of investigation, e.g. medical assessment, or mental-health assessment before admission to an asylum (14-day limit on this)

No doubt there would be other circumstances too.

Do you want to post details of the couple that you've found?

Offline SDP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Francis PARKER born 1850 in Margate KENT. There is only one Francis PARKER born between 1850 and 1853 in Margate KENT. I believe he is listed on the 1911 census as being in the workhouse Strand registration area. He is listed as single.
Sarah PARKER born 1851 in Margate KENT. I believe she is the one listed on the 1911 census as being in the workhouse in Bethnal Green although is says unknown for her place of birth. She is listed as married.
BANKS - Holborn,London
LATTAWAY - anywhere
RYALL - Ireland

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 17 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Francis Parker in the Sheffield Street workhouse certainly looks feasible.

For Sarah Parker in Bethnal Green, I'd be concerned about the lack of a place of birth, as it's such a common surname. Have you ruled out this one in 1911? Says she was born in Margate.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWPT-RCR

If they had separated, they might well describe themselves as single or widowed rather than married.

Where were they in 1901? You might want to check if there are any relevant workhouse records on Ancestry that offer further information?

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 17 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes you have to find and compare multiple entries for people with the same name and approximate d.o.b. to see if there are any significant differences. Sometimes those differences can help you separate them out.

Different entries can contain different info. For example, some might include an address or relative's name/address that can be compared with other known addresses or relatives. Some might include a profession or spouse or child(ren).

I hope that makes sense.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline SDP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
In 1901 they were living in Camberwell and 1891 they were in Margate.  Thankyou Bookbox for pointing out Sarah PARKER in Bermondsey (I had not seen this one). I have checked previous census and cannot find a second Sarah PARKER born in Margate so looks like she may be the one. Not sure how I can prove this yet though.

Regards,

Sandra
BANKS - Holborn,London
LATTAWAY - anywhere
RYALL - Ireland