Author Topic: Relative won't help me  (Read 7106 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Relative won't help me
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 13:39 GMT (UK) »
I was about to suggest the same thing, Fleur, that they may not be related at all, but are just trying to trace living people for another reason. Why would they expect you to supply and pay for divorce information if it is also their relative? Ignore them, or tell them you are not interested and if they want to follow it up they can get the certificates for themselves.

In the meantime why not post your brickwalls on one of the forums on here, there are a lot of very clever people who may be able to help?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ancestry Addicted

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 13:50 GMT (UK) »
I was about to suggest the same thing, Fleur, that they may not be related at all, but are just trying to trace living people for another reason. Why would they expect you to supply and pay for divorce information if it is also their relative? Ignore them, or tell them you are not interested and if they want to follow it up they can get the certificates for themselves.

In the meantime why not post your brickwalls on one of the forums on here, there are a lot of very clever people who may be able to help?

Thank you for your kindness :)

I'm pleased I'm not the only one who thinks that the whole thing seems a bit off!

Thank you again

Online LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Fortune hunter had also crossed my mind, that's what comes with age or experience I guess.

Never mind Fleur, at least you know if you need help on here it will be freely given.

Lizzie

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 14:55 GMT (UK) »
The other thing that strikes me is that it is very difficult to get hold of divorce papers, most of them since the war seem to have been destroyed and I'm sure even if available they wouldn't cost £60.  It sounds to me that, for some reason, they are more interested in the living than ancestors and I would be wary of giving this sort of info to other people in future.

No, only £10 from the court where the divorce, dissolution or annulment took place if one knows the date of divorce. The court will search 5 years of records either side of that date. (So the thing to do is estimate a date if it is not known)
£45 for a ten year search if no date is given.

£65 for each 10 year period at the Central Family Court the form D440 is required to be completed.

Cheers
Guy

http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Guy

The request to Fleur is even more curious. Whoever asked Fleur to get hold of divorce papers knew that they were from the Central Family Court @ £65 each.

I don't know anything about divorce, but I guess from the costs you quoted that £45 covers a search through ordinary court papers, so £65 for Central Family Court must mean there were children and perhaps a custody battle involved.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I will give the following advice, we live in a time of technology where is costs very little or nothing to send digital copies of research almost instantly around the world; Unlike the past when documents had to be transcribed, photographed or photocopied and posted all which cost money or hours of work, rather than the simple copy & paste of today.
Yet people today complain of sharing research which cost a lot of money to compile

Guy,

Quote from you,

"Yet people today complain of sharing research which cost a lot of money to compile".

If you had read the original post, this is what was asked.....

"Now they are saying that I'll have to provide them with three divorce certificates at £60 each before they'll help me or even tell me how we are related. I'm annoyed as anything about this as I told them from the off that I'm a student!

Does that statement not tell us that the OP does not have the requested documents (divorce certificates) i.e. it's basically blackmail in my book as she'd already given him info. & now not going to receive anything in return without the docs. which she can't afford & does not have

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your kindness :)

I'm pleased I'm not the only one who thinks that the whole thing seems a bit off!

Not so different from a scam IMHO.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Online eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 17:05 GMT (UK) »
When I'm contacted and asked for information, I give a snippet or two.
Then I wait for a little in return.

Then i give a little more! etc etc .. then if it comes to nothing, I don't feel "used".

In general I've been lucky - shared lots, and got stuff in return.
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 17:07 GMT (UK) »

Guy,

Quote from you,

"Yet people today complain of sharing research which cost a lot of money to compile".

If you had read the original post, this is what was asked.....

"Now they are saying that I'll have to provide them with three divorce certificates at £60 each before they'll help me or even tell me how we are related. I'm annoyed as anything about this as I told them from the off that I'm a student!

Does that statement not tell us that the OP does not have the requested documents (divorce certificates) i.e. it's basically blackmail in my book as she'd already given him info. & now not going to receive anything in return without the docs. which she can't afford & does not have

Annie

No it simply says the other person wanted Fleur to provide them with the three certificates. She may already have them for all I know, she was not specific about that.  Fleur also said in her first post “Sorry if my writing is bad. English is not my first language.”

However you are missing my point, I was stating that the people today complain about sharing what they already have as it cost them a lot of money to get.
I was not referring to Fleur or anyone else in particular but rather researchers in this day and age.
If I wish to refer to a particular poster I use their name otherwise I am referring to people in general.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.