Author Topic: robert cook  (Read 2275 times)

Offline dee king

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: robert cook
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 04:49 GMT (UK) »
i got that information  from a cousin,  who was elizabeth cooks grand daughter. she had apparently decided to try and find robert cook and had been in contact with the person who gave  the information

robert cook has been elusive and hard to find

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 05:07 GMT (UK) »
Deidre words fail me.

Who did the research?

South Australian certificates do not give Robert's place of birth or his father's name.

How did the person establish that Robert C COOK born in 1838 in Norfolk and was a mariner die in 1893 in South Australia aged 45 years.  Did the researcher bother to purchase any marriage certificates for a marriage to Mary born c1854 in Liverpool.  There are two possibilities.

Looks like someone typed in a name and followed the green leaf hints :-X :-X :-X

If you're happy with the research then I'll leave it at that.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dee king

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 07:40 GMT (UK) »

i will ask her and see if she will let you know

why are you keen to know

Offline dee king

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 21:53 GMT (UK) »

the person researching  done one of those DNA testing on ancestry

some thing i never thought or could afford to do

i donot understand the DNA testing but it did come back with interesting  things

always wanted to find
Robert Cooks  family line

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 January 17 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Re Robert COOK.     Remembering that COOK is one of the many popular surnames so it will continue to be a difficult exercise to find Jackeroo’s elusive chap.    On one of the earlier threads I recall mentioning the efforts of our former Global Moderator Kris, and the excellent work that Cando undertook for Jackeroo.    I remember many RChatters asked sensible questions but without receiving replies. 

There are many reasons for people becoming ‘elusive’ in the colonial records, but if a marriage cannot be located in a 19th century marriage register, then simply put, there is no record of a formal marriage between the couple.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/226051511   Hamilton Spectator 26 July 1884.
Detailed info about the Robert COOK who had arrived in Adelaide in 1865 per the Electric.   The linked article shows that that particular Robert COOK was wanted for the 1874 murder of his wife and her child. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline dee king

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 January 17 07:22 GMT (UK) »

so  do  ignore the dna 

that cousin  done 
yes  cando  did   a lot  but  was it the  right  person   Robert cook I mean

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 January 17 03:11 GMT (UK) »
i am on the trail of robert cook
 i know he took up with a fanny gill,  she married a william alfred mobbs cook,
no record or any marriage that i can find for being with fanny gill
he died in  i think 1893
i cannot seem to find any history on him at all
i found an article in a newspaper dated 1884  being drunk and falling off a cart
but   nothing

and

so  do  ignore the dna 

that cousin  done 
yes  cando  did   a lot  but  was it the  right  person   Robert cook I mean

Dee/Jackeroo,

After a careful reading of the information across the many threads, all the info gleaned by respected RChatters using their own offline resources years ago, and of course all still valid from current online resources, here are my thoughts :

:) If your Lucy COOK’s dad was the Robert COOK who died in South Australia  shortly after her 1893 birth, then it seems possible/likely/probable that he was the Robert COOK who arrived in SA per the Electric in 1865.   

:) If he arrived on that 1865 voyage of the Electric, then it seems that his wife and her child were murdered in 1874 and that he was the suspect.   If so, then he was free to marry Lucy’s mum, Fanny GILL, as he no longer had a wife.  (likely that 1874 marriage would be indexed as Robert COOKE and Maria LANGLEY as per SA online index at : https://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html  and VERY likely the mc will give you the name of Robert COOKE's dad - vital family history info ! ! ! )

:) If Lucy’s mum was the lass who had previously married William Alfred Mobbs COOK in 1881, then if Fanny was not able to obtain a divorce from William, she was ineligible to marry anyone while he was living.   

Simply put,  it seems likely that Fanny became known as Fanny COOK through her common-law marriage with Robert COOK, and that after his 1893 death, Fanny COOK came to the conclusion that she was free to re-marry.   

I cannot see that DNA test results would provide anyone with any formal proof about the name of Lucy’s father, or HIS parents’ details.   

There is a great deal of personal family history information in the Trove newspaper articles about the Robert COOK who was wanted for the 1874 murder of his wife and her child. 

I encourage you to search out those articles.  There are plenty of clues in those articles to help you move back a generation on that Robert COOK, the likely dad for your Lucy COOK.   I linked one of them in a previous post.    Here is another one. http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/77507117 23 Aug 1884 Border Watch.

I am sure that as a long standing family history buff that you do realise that it is up to you to decide IF you have sufficient research to confirm/validate or to eliminate or leave as pending the Robert COOK per the Electric to SA in 1865.

I will send a message through to Sarah, our Global Moderator to ask her to consider merging your two avatars.

ADD
1874 marriage announced in the newspapers 18 March 1874 Border Watch gives details about the bride but not the groom.  (edited to correct a typo in the year  ::) )   http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/77550290 
and this announcement also has both the bride and the groom as 'both of Glenburnie' (in South Australia,) http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/196747927  19 March 1874 Evening Journal

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 January 17 04:56 GMT (UK) »
The case of Maria Cook and her daughter Louisa, an unsolved mystery, remains of interest to this day.
http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/1835651/maryvale-murders-book-sells-out/

The True Story of the Maryvale Murders: And the Langley Family Ghost http://tinyurl.com/gsccy6s
Chapter six
Hunting Robert Cook
...By November 1886 Robert Cook had still hot been captured.......The month was July 1886, over twelve years since the murders.....This local event turned the whole investigation on its head.
Another body had been found at Edenhope, so the body count was now three people plus a dog that had also been buried there. Had Robert Cook been murdered as well as his wife and step daughter ? Had the killer also killed the family's dog? This find brought a whole new complexion on the case.
The local newspaper, the Kowree Advertiser became quite excited with the discovery. In their issue dated 17th July 1886, the article was quite accurately headlined ANOTHER MARYVALE MURDER and it tells the story...

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 January 17 05:20 GMT (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/197820407  21 Jul 1886 Evening Journal.  The latest body was NOT that of Robert COOKE .... so he remains a candidate for Lucy COOK's dad  :)

Well found Cup.  :) , that (shrunk) link you posted gives lots of family history info about that chap, his origins, his immediate family. 

JM